Last Week around the Leagues
by Fran Stuchbury
September 3, 2019 - Major League Soccer (MLS)
Last week Atlanta United FC striker Josef Martinez scored a goal in his 13th straight game, the Triplets won the Big3 Championship and both the Florida State League and Gulf Coast League cancelled their postseasons due to Hurricane Dorian. Highlights from this week are from the Canadian Football League, Major League Soccer, Midwest League, Pioneer League and the Big3.
Canadian Football League
Winnipeg Blue Bomber running back Andrew Harris has been suspended for two games after testing positive for Metandienone, which is a banned substance under the drug policy of the Canadian Football League (CFL) and the Canadian Football League Players' Association (CFLPA).
Saskatchewan's Brett Lauther makes a game winning 26-yard field goal against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers giving them a 19-17 victory.
A 96-yard TD bomb from Toronto Argonauts quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson to Derel Walker:
Indoor Football League
Florida State League
Florida State League President Ken Carson announced today that the Florida State League final weekend series and postseason will be canceled because of the threat of Hurricane Dorian's potential impact.
Gulf Coast League
The Gulf Coast League today announced it has canceled the final two games of the season and the league playoff series as Florida prepares for the impact of Hurricane Dorian. The league's three division champions have already been decided with the GCL Marlins winning the East division, the GCL Phillies West claiming the North division title and GCL Orioles clinching the South division championship.
The Eastern League of Professional Baseball is pleased to announce that Chris Gittens of the Trenton Thunder has been selected as the winner of the 2019 Eastern League Most Valuable Player Award. Gittens is hitting .279 (107-for-384) with 16 doubles, one triple, 22 home runs, 75 RBIs, 55 runs scored, a .497 slugging percentage, and a .392 on-base percentage in 111 games for the Thunder this season.
The Reading Fightin Phils welcomed their 15 millionth fan in 2019, drawing 398,314 over 67 home openings at FirstEnergy Stadium throughout this season. Beginning as the home to the Reading Indians in 1952, FirstEnergy Stadium's all-time regular season attendance now stands at 15,248,890.
Pacific Coast League
The Pacific Coast League announced that Las Vegas Aviators manager Fran Riordan has been elected the Pacific Coast League's Manager of the Year. This is Riordan's first Manager of the Year award, and the Las Vegas franchise's third winner. Riordan joins Brad Mills (2002) and Wally Backman (2014) as the only Las Vegas skippers to win the award.
Fort Wayne TinCaps - to become a pro, you gotta prep like one.
Hey, the Missoula Osprey found Nemo.
Major League Soccer
13 straight games with a goal for Atlanta United FC striker Josef Martinez
All seven goals in the Seattle Sounders FC 4-3 victory over the Los Angeles Galaxy
United Soccer League Championships
The United Soccer League (USL) announced a new three-year rights agreement with ESPN on that features the USL Championship and League One matches through the 2022 season.
BIG3, the premier global 3-on-3 basketball league, announced two basketball legends have won the top two individual awards of the season with Joe Johnson claiming league Most Valuable Player and Lisa Leslie being named Coach of the Year who are with the Triplets.
The Triplets won the Big3 Championship defeating the Killer 3s 50-39. Here are the highlights.
NBA G League
The NBA G League released its complete game schedule for the 2019-20 regular season, which will tip off on Friday, Nov. 8. A record 28 teams will compete in the NBA G League's 19th season. Each team will play a 50-game schedule with 24 home games, 24 road games and two games at the annual NBA G League Winter Showcase.
The Santa Cruz Warriors, the NBA G League affiliate of the Golden State Warriors, announced that Ryan Atkinson has been promoted to general manager after most recently serving as the team's assistant general manager and director of team player development. Kent Lacob, who served as the team's general manager since 2016, has transitioned to the Golden State Warriors as director of team development.
National Women's Hockey League
In a celebration of women's hockey and the pond hockey roots of the sport, the Buffalo Beauts will play the Metropolitan Riveters in the Buffalo Believes Classic - an NWHL outdoor regular season game on Saturday, Dec. 28 at 6:30 p.m. at RiverWorks, located on the banks of the Buffalo River.
National Pro Fastpitch
National Pro Fastpitch announced the 2020 season schedule will take on an original, and brand new look for the league, placing competition inside a Series Event model designed for multi-team competition. The new model will see regular season format change from one-on-one match-ups, to a multi-team format that will include a minimum of three teams. The teams will play each other in a pre-designed, fairly matched layout, which will ultimately determine a winner for each series.
Did we miss anything newsworthy or downright fun? Have a nomination for next week's column? Contact us today and let us know.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 3, 2019
- Seven Additional Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Paredes, Zambrano, Flores Called up for International Matches - Portland Timbers
- Major League Soccer Announces Flex Scheduling Change for September 15 Sounders FC Match vs. New York Red Bulls - Seattle Sounders FC
- Major League Soccer Announces Time, Broadcast Changes for Timbers' September 15 Home Match against D.C. United - Portland Timbers
- Defender A.J. DeLaGarza to Miss 8-12 Weeks with Right Foot Fracture - Houston Dynamo
- 11 Impact Players to Celebrate Soccer in Terrebonne this Friday, September 6 - Montreal Impact
- MLS Flex Schedule Showcases Push to Audi MLS Cup Playoffs During ESPN, FS1 Broadcasts on Sunday, September 15 - MLS
- MLS Flex Schedule Showcases Push to Audi MLS Cup Playoffs During ESPN, FS1 Broadcasts on Sunday, September 15 - D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2022 MLS SuperDraft Pick from Inter Miami CF for David Norman - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- New York Red Bulls Staff Garner National Sports Industry Accolades - New York Red Bulls
- Minnesota United FC Forward Mason Toye Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Mason Toye Named Player of the Week - Minnesota United FC
- MNUFC Acquires General Allocation Money and Draft Pick from Chicago Fire - Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire Exchanges General Allocation Money (GAM) with Minnesota United FC - Chicago Fire
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: September 3, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls International Round-Up; Six Received Call-Ups - New York Red Bulls
- Gold Cup Finalists U.S. and Mexico Square off Friday on FS1, Univision - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer(s), and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.