USL Reaches New Rights Agreement with ESPN, ESPN+
August 27, 2019 - United Soccer League Championship (USL) News Release
TAMPA, Fla. - The United Soccer League (USL) announced a new three-year rights agreement with ESPN on Tuesday that features the USL Championship and League One matches through the 2022 season.
The new agreement will see a three-fold rise in the number of games televised annually on ESPN's networks, including the addition of Spanish-language telecasts on ESPN Deportes, as well as continued expansive coverage on ESPN+, the leading multi-sport, direct-to-consumer video service.
"We are thrilled to continue with ESPN and ESPN+," said USL Executive Vice President Court Jeske. "USL is an organization that aims to put the fans first and we know that supporters across the country will be very pleased with this new three-year agreement and the exposure it brings."
The relationship between the USL and ESPN will enter its fifth full year in 2020 as the league celebrates its 10th anniversary season. Under the new agreement, 18 regular-season games from the Championship will air on ESPN2, ESPNEWS, ESPNU or ESPN Deportes annually in addition to the USL Championship Final. All other matches will be streamed live on ESPN+.
"We're delighted to continue our relationship with the United Soccer League, and showcase the USL Championship and USL League One competitions across ESPN networks and ESPN+ through this new agreement," said Scott Guglielmino, ESPN Senior Vice President, Programming and Acquisitions.
The Championship has grown through its relationship with ESPN and ESPN+, including the debut of League One during the inaugural year of ESPN+. This new agreement will see nearly triple the content on ESPN networks, including ESPN Deportes, helping the USL and its clubs continue to broaden their fanbase.
USL will continue to be featured among the portfolio of world-class domestic and international soccer on ESPN+, along with Major League Soccer, the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, Italy's Serie A, the F.A. Cup, the English Football League, and the qualifiers for the UEFA 2020 European Championship. In 2019, more than 750 regular season contests across the USL Championship and USL League One will air on ESPN platforms.
Games will continue to be produced by USL Productions, the league's state-of-the-art broadcast production, broadcast and distribution facilities with VISTA Worldlink in south Florida.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 27, 2019
- Indy Eleven Midfielder Drew Conner Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Indy Eleven
- Match Preview: LDNvBHM - Wednesday, August 28 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Match Preview at Tulsa Roughnecks - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Ken Tribbett Named to USL Championship Team of the Week After Two-Point Week - Nashville SC
- Haworth Selected to USL Championship Team of the Week - Ottawa Fury FC
- North Carolina FC Midfielder Steven Miller Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - North Carolina FC
- San Antonio's Parano Voted Championship Player of the Week - USL
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Cristian Parano Named USL Championship Player of the Week - San Antonio FC
- Memphis 901 FC off to Atlanta Tomorrow Night - Memphis 901 FC
- Tacoma Defiance Releases Joel Rydstrand - Tacoma Defiance
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Memphis 901 FC - Atlanta United 2
- USL Reaches New Rights Agreement with ESPN, ESPN+ - USL
- Indy Eleven Signs Midfielder Nico Perea - Indy Eleven
- Ingram Excited to Introduce Mukhtar to Nashville SC Fans in 2020 - Nashville SC
- Jacobs Sees Perfect Fit for Mukhtar in Nashville SC DNA - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Acquires German Midfielder Hany Mukhtar as First Designated Player - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.