San Antonio FC Midfielder Cristian Parano Named USL Championship Player of the Week
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC midfielder Cristian Parano was named the USL Championship Player of the Week, the league announced today. Parano scored two goals and recorded two assists in the record 5-0 win for SAFC over New Mexico United last Saturday.
The Argentinian midfielder was named the SWBC Man of the Match after recording the two goals and two assists while also adding five key passes and six successful dribbles. Parano continues to add to his August Player of the Month candidacy after tallying five goals, two assists, 15 key passes, 19 successful dribbles, 36 duels won and an 86.4 percent passing accuracy in four August matches thus far.
Overall this season, the 19-year-old has appeared in all 25 league matches for SAFC, making 17 starts and tallying 1,607 minutes played. Parano has scored seven goals while adding the two assists, 39 chances created, 84 successful dribbles and 176 duels won. The 20-year-old's 84 successful dribbles and 137 dribbles attempted lead the USL Championship in 2019.
The honor marks the fifth time a San Antonio FC player has earned the Player of the Week award and second time for Parano in the last three weeks. Goalkeeper Matthew Cardone (2016), forward Cesar Elizondo (2017) and forward Ever Guzman (2017) are the other three to earn the league honor. SAFC has had one USL Championship Player of the Month winner in team history after midfielder Billy Forbes earned the award following his play in March/April of 2017.
The full USL Team of the Week:
GK - Thomas Olsen, Las Vegas Lights FC
D - Kyle Duncan, New York Red Bulls II
D - Ken Tribbett, Nashville SC
D - Ramon Martin Del Campo, Fresno FC
D - Carl Haworth, Ottawa Fury FC
M - Cristian Parano, San Antonio FC
M - Kwadwo Poku, Tampa Bay Rowdies
M - Drew Conner, Indy Eleven
M - Jared Stroud, New York Red Bulls II
M - Steven Miller, North Carolina FC
F - Wojciech Wojcik, Hartford Athletic
Bench: Kyle Morton (PIT), Oscar Jimenez (LOU), Eric Bird (RGV), Malik Johnson (TBR), Rafael Garcia (OKC), Aodhan Quinn (OC), Prosper Kasim (BHM)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 27, 2019
- Indy Eleven Midfielder Drew Conner Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Indy Eleven
- Match Preview: LDNvBHM - Wednesday, August 28 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Match Preview at Tulsa Roughnecks - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Ken Tribbett Named to USL Championship Team of the Week After Two-Point Week - Nashville SC
- Haworth Selected to USL Championship Team of the Week - Ottawa Fury FC
- North Carolina FC Midfielder Steven Miller Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - North Carolina FC
- San Antonio's Parano Voted Championship Player of the Week - USL
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Cristian Parano Named USL Championship Player of the Week - San Antonio FC
- Memphis 901 FC off to Atlanta Tomorrow Night - Memphis 901 FC
- Tacoma Defiance Releases Joel Rydstrand - Tacoma Defiance
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Memphis 901 FC - Atlanta United 2
- USL Reaches New Rights Agreement with ESPN, ESPN+ - USL
- Indy Eleven Signs Midfielder Nico Perea - Indy Eleven
- Ingram Excited to Introduce Mukhtar to Nashville SC Fans in 2020 - Nashville SC
- Jacobs Sees Perfect Fit for Mukhtar in Nashville SC DNA - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Acquires German Midfielder Hany Mukhtar as First Designated Player - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Falls 0-1 on the Road to FC Tulsa
- Match Notes - SAFC at FC Tulsa 9.26.20
- San Antonio FC Completes Unbeaten Home Record in Regular Season with 2-0 Win over OKC
- Match Notes, SAFC vs. OKC Energy FC 9.19.20
- San Antonio FC Adds Defender Liam Doyle and Midfielder Ethan Bryant to Roster