Match Preview: LDNvBHM - Wednesday, August 28
Birmingham Legion FC at Loudoun United FC
Wednesday, August 28 - 6:30PM CT Kickoff - Segra Field, Leesburg, VA
Watch - ESPN+
Legion FC looks to carry momentum from its seven-game unbeaten run - second-longest in the league - into a contest with Loudoun United FC.
BHM's historic shutout streak came to an end at Bethlehem, clocking in at 624 minutes, which is good for the fourth-longest streak in USL Championship history. Legion FC have now outscored their opponents 11-2 during the seven-game run and will need everyone to pitch in for this quick turnaround, with multiple players out injured or on one-game card suspensions. #5 Mikey Lopez is unavailable for selection due to yellow card accumulation, while #21 Zach Herivaux and #30 Razak Cromwell are out after picking up red cards on Sunday.
Loudoun United FC currently sit in 14th place in the USL Championship Eastern Conference standings. The team has only taken seven points at home all year, and in the first LDNvBHM game of the season, Legion FC won 1-0 in Birmingham on April 27th on the back of a Prosper Kasim goal at the death.
Loudoun has struggled offensively this inaugural season, having scored 30 goals, which is bottom third in the USL, and has given up 40. No one on the team is in the top 30 in the league in goals, assists, shots or chances created. Kyle Murphy leads the team in goals (5) and shots (39) and is tied for the team lead in assists (3) with Antonio Bustamente, who is top in chances created (29).
According to Head Coach Tommy Soehn, Loudoun are "very attack-minded with their fullbacks in particular, so we'll have to account for that. They like to take risks so if we can do a good job of handling that, turn them over, and then quick attack we can take advantage. On our end we need to deny service into the area, defend service in, and be wary of those overloads to one side or the other."
#9 Chandler Hoffman ruptured his PCL on July 13 and is out the remainder of the season. #4 Kyle Fisher (hamstring), #16 Daigo Kobayashi (knee), #17 Gael Mabiala (ankle) and #27 Eddie Opoku (ankle) are also out, per the VIVA Health injury report.
Follow @bhmlegion on Twitter for live game updates, and watch live HERE on ESPN+.
The final stop on this three-game road swing kicks off in the Peach State against Atlanta United II on Wednesday, September 4. The game will air live on ESPN+ at 6:30PM CT.
The next Legion FC home game takes place on Friday, September 13 at BBVA Field versus Saint Louis FC at 7:00PM. Tickets are available at bhmlegion.com/tickets or by calling the Legion FC Ticket Office at 205-600-4635.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 27, 2019
- Indy Eleven Midfielder Drew Conner Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Indy Eleven
- Match Preview: LDNvBHM - Wednesday, August 28 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Match Preview at Tulsa Roughnecks - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Ken Tribbett Named to USL Championship Team of the Week After Two-Point Week - Nashville SC
- Haworth Selected to USL Championship Team of the Week - Ottawa Fury FC
- North Carolina FC Midfielder Steven Miller Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - North Carolina FC
- San Antonio's Parano Voted Championship Player of the Week - USL
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Cristian Parano Named USL Championship Player of the Week - San Antonio FC
- Memphis 901 FC off to Atlanta Tomorrow Night - Memphis 901 FC
- Tacoma Defiance Releases Joel Rydstrand - Tacoma Defiance
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Memphis 901 FC - Atlanta United 2
- USL Reaches New Rights Agreement with ESPN, ESPN+ - USL
- Indy Eleven Signs Midfielder Nico Perea - Indy Eleven
- Ingram Excited to Introduce Mukhtar to Nashville SC Fans in 2020 - Nashville SC
- Jacobs Sees Perfect Fit for Mukhtar in Nashville SC DNA - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Acquires German Midfielder Hany Mukhtar as First Designated Player - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Birmingham Legion FC Stories
- Match Preview: Legion FC vs Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Sunday, October 20
- Legion FC Rises to the Occasion to Knock off New York
- Legion FC V. New York Red Bulls II - Wednesday, 7:00 Pm
- Legion FC Drops the Ball at Hartford
- Legion FC Settles for Draw vs Charleston