Mason Toye Named Player of the Week
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Minnesota United FC forward Mason Toye was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for Week 26 of the 2019 MLS season.
Toye scored two goals to help Minnesota to a 2-0 victory over the league-leading Los Angeles Football Club at Banc of California Stadium on Sunday. With the brace, Toye now has six goals this season, tied for second most on the team, along with three assists over 11 matches played. Minnesota sits in third place in the Western Conference with 45 points (13-9-6 overall record) and has a 5-0-1 record this regular season in matches where Toye scores a goal or registers an assist.
Minnesota took a 1-0 lead in the 25th minute when Toye finished from a challenging angle on the right side of the box with a left-footed strike to the upper left corner.
Days after receiving his first call to represent the United States Men's U23 National Team, Toye showcased his tremendous skill once again, completing his brace to give Minnesota a 2-0 lead in the 29th minute. Toye collected the ball outside the box and sent a stunning long-distance left-footed strike to the upper right corner, perfectly out of reach of the LAFC goalkeeper.
Minnesota returns to regular season action on Wednesday, September 11 against the Houston Dynamo at BBVA Stadium (7:30 p.m. CT, FOX Sports North+, FOX Sports GO, SKOR North).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 3, 2019
- Seven Additional Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Paredes, Zambrano, Flores Called up for International Matches - Portland Timbers
- Major League Soccer Announces Flex Scheduling Change for September 15 Sounders FC Match vs. New York Red Bulls - Seattle Sounders FC
- Major League Soccer Announces Time, Broadcast Changes for Timbers' September 15 Home Match against D.C. United - Portland Timbers
- Defender A.J. DeLaGarza to Miss 8-12 Weeks with Right Foot Fracture - Houston Dynamo
- 11 Impact Players to Celebrate Soccer in Terrebonne this Friday, September 6 - Montreal Impact
- MLS Flex Schedule Showcases Push to Audi MLS Cup Playoffs During ESPN, FS1 Broadcasts on Sunday, September 15 - MLS
- MLS Flex Schedule Showcases Push to Audi MLS Cup Playoffs During ESPN, FS1 Broadcasts on Sunday, September 15 - D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2022 MLS SuperDraft Pick from Inter Miami CF for David Norman - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- New York Red Bulls Staff Garner National Sports Industry Accolades - New York Red Bulls
- Minnesota United FC Forward Mason Toye Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Mason Toye Named Player of the Week - Minnesota United FC
- MNUFC Acquires General Allocation Money and Draft Pick from Chicago Fire - Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire Exchanges General Allocation Money (GAM) with Minnesota United FC - Chicago Fire
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: September 3, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls International Round-Up; Six Received Call-Ups - New York Red Bulls
- Gold Cup Finalists U.S. and Mexico Square off Friday on FS1, Univision - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.