Nelson Debut, Yerzy Homer Spoiled by Hawks in Series Finale
BOISE, IDAHO - The Hillsboro Hops were defeated 6-3 by the Boise Hawks in the final game of the series at Memorial Stadium. The Hops were coming off three straight wins against the Hawks dating back to Tuesday in Hillsboro.
Second round (56th overall) draft pick by the Arizona Diamondbacks, Ryne Nelson made his professional debut for the Hops. The hard-throwing right hander tossed a scoreless inning while giving up one hit and recorded his first strike out of the season. Wilfry Cruz took over for the Hops and was not as sharp as his past two outings. Cruz gave up two earned runs over three innings and was tagged for the loss (2-1). Franklyn Sorriano was not able to stop the bleeding giving up three more earned runs over 1.2 innings.
After falling behind 6-0 going into the top of the sixth, the Hops fought back when Nick Grande drove in Ryan January and Nick Dalesandro with a two-run single. In the seventh inning, Andy Yerzy brought the Hops a run closer with his third home run of the season. The late game effort would not be enough as the Hawks bullpen was able to keep the Hops scoreless over the final two frames.
Hillsboro (18-11) will face off against the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes, who hold the best record in the Northwest League on Sunday at 4:05 pm. The radio pregame show begins at 3:35 pm on Rip City Radio 620 AM and www.RipyCity Radio.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from July 14, 2019
- C's Open Homestand with 2-1 Victory over Tri-City - Vancouver Canadians
- Unexpected Hero Dalesandro Leads Hops to Victory - Hillsboro Hops
- Volcanoes Lose in a Blowout Loss to Close Series - Salem-Keizer Volcanoes
- Volcanoes Considering Hall of Fame - Salem-Keizer Volcanoes
- Emeralds Explode at the Plate to Split Series against Salem-Keizer - Eugene Emeralds
- Longball "Giveth" and "Taketh" Away in 6-2 Loss to Everett - Vancouver Canadians
- Ocando's Start Lifts Boise to 6-3 Win over Hillsboro - Boise Hawks
- Bumpy Start Proves Costly - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Frogs' Bats Blast Off, 6-2 - Everett AquaSox
- Nelson Debut, Yerzy Homer Spoiled by Hawks in Series Finale - Hillsboro Hops
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.