Mud Hens Score Early and Often in Indians Loss
INDIANAPOLIS - The Toledo Mud Hens scored in each of the first five innings, capped off by a six-run fifth, to beat the Indianapolis Indians on Wednesday afternoon, 11-5.
Toledo (37-29) plated one run in each of the first three innings and two in the fourth before erupting in the fifth. Back-to-back two-out home runs - a three-run shot by Renato Nunez and a solo dinger by Kody Clemens - capped off the frame with an 11-0 lead.
The Indians (33-33) were held to just one hit through the first six innings before the offense started rolling in the seventh. Hunter Owen launched his eighth home run of the season out to the deepest part of the ballpark to end the shutout bid. Two additional runs scored on a fielder's choice and throwing error by shortstop Yariel Gonzalez.
A sacrifice fly to deep center field off the bat of Bligh Madris continued the Indians rally in the eighth inning. After an error allowed Owen to reach safely and moved Christian Bethancourt to third, a wild pitch scored the fifth and final Indians run.
Locke St. John (W, 3-0) earned the win with three hitless innings in relief of starter Angel De Jesus. For the Indians, Shelby Miller (L, 1-1) made his first start since May 21 and tossed one inning.
The Indians and Mud Hens return to the field on Thursday at 7:05 PM for the third of a six-game series. RHP Cody Ponce (0-3, 5.61) will get the start against former Indians hurler RHP Drew Hutchison (6-3, 3.84).
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from July 21, 2021
- Vincent Slams the Door Shut, Saints Hang on for 7-6 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Bisons Win Again, Top Mets, 5-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Redbirds Win 11th in a Row, Tie Franchise Record - Memphis Redbirds
- Power Show Leads WooSox to a 7-4 Win over IronPigs - Worcester Red Sox
- Almora Jr. Provides Three RBIs, But Mets Fall to Bisons, 5-3, on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Columbus Scores Seven Unanswered Runs to Tie Series - Iowa Cubs
- WooSox flex their muscles in win over Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Three RailRiders Combine for No-Hitter - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings No-Hit in Scranton Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Enns, Bulls Quiet Knights 7-3 - Durham Bulls
- Mud Hens Score Early and Often in Indians Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Mud Hens Ride 11 Runs to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tides Snap Skid, Split Doubleheader against Gwinnett Wednesday - Norfolk Tides
- Wilson, Sounds Sink Shrimp in Extras - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- July 21 Game Notes: Iowa at Columbus - Iowa Cubs
- Weston Wilson Leads Sounds over Jumbo Shrimp - Nashville Sounds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - July 21, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Premier Rugby Sevens to Bring the PR7s Inaugural Championship to Memphis on October 9, 202 - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: July 21, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Saints to Honor St. Paul Colored Gophers, Phil "Daddy" Reid on July 27 - St. Paul Saints
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-32) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (36-29) - Indianapolis Indians
- Sounds Return to First Horizon Park on July 27 to Begin 13-Game Homestand - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Steven Brault's Gem Shuts Down Toledo, 2-1
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-34) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (38-29)
- Indianapolis Native Dillon Peters Joins Indians Roster
- Mud Hens Pitching Stumps Indianapolis, 7-2
- Indians Receive Sensory Certification, Install Sensory Wall at Victory Field