Mud Hens Ride 11 Runs to Victory
INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana - The Toledo Mud Hens put on an offensive clinic in an 11-5 win over the Indianapolis Indians on Wednesday afternoon at Victory Field.
Similarly to last night, the Hens scored in the first to jump out to an early lead. On a 3-2 fastball, Jacob Robson pulled his hands in nicely and barreled up a pitch that left the yard, flying over the right field fence.
The Hens offense stayed busy in the second inning. Aderlin Rodriguez singled to left to start the frame and Christin Stewart followed it with a double to right, putting men at second and third with no outs. JaCoby Jones then walked to load them up. Yariel Gonzalez proceeded to hit a sac fly to center field that scored Rodriguez.
The Mud Hens scored in the third straight inning to make it 3-0 early. After Renato Nunez reached on a hit by pitch and Rodriguez walked, Stewart punched a base hit through the right side of the infield that scored Nunez.
After 2.2 scoreless innings from righty Angel De Jesus, lefty Locke St. John took over. De Jesus allowed one hit and struck out two.
Gonzalez singled to start the fourth. After a wild pitch by knuckleballer Steven Wright, he moved up to second base. Willi Castro then turned on a pitch and hit it to right field for a single that allowed Gonzalez to score, making it 4-0 Hens. Nunez walked and then Clemens dropped a bloop single into right that scored Castro.
In the top of the fifth, Stewart recorded his third hit of the game with a single to right. He moved up to second on a wild pitch and scored on an opposite field double off the bat of Gonzalez. Jon Rosoff and Jacob Robson both walked to load the bases. Another wild pitch allowed everyone to move up, including Gonzalez who would come across to score. On a 2-2 pitch, Renato Nunez obliterated a ball way over the left field wall for a three-run homer that made it 10-0. The very next hitter, Kody Clemens, blasted a solo home run to right field as the Hens hit the 11-run mark for the second straight night.
After three scoreless relief innings from St. John, righty Wladimir Pinto took over. In the bottom of the seventh, Hunter Owen broke up the shutout effort with a solo home run to left-center field. The Indians would add to their total after a walk and two singles loaded the bases. Dee Strange-Gordon hit into a fielder's choice that allowed one run to score, but on a throwing error by Gonzalez at shortstop, another run came around to make it 11-3.
Right-hander Nolan Blackwood entered to pitch the eighth inning. A walk and a single put men at the corners with no outs. A deep fly ball to center was then caught by Jones, but allowed both runners to tag, making it 11-4. An error by Rodriguez let Owen reach and Bethancourt moved up to third base. Blackwood then threw a wild pitch and Bethancourt scampered home to score. Blackwood pitched himself out of the inning, but not before the Indians plated a pair to cut the Hens lead to six.
Southpaw Robbie Ross Jr. came on as the fifth pitcher for Toledo to work the ninth. He recorded an easy 1-2-3 inning as the Hens took game two against Indy to even up the series.
The Toledo Mud Hens and Indianapolis Indians meet for game three of the series at Victory Field on Thursday at 7:35 p.m.
OF Christin Stewart notched his 2nd four-hit game of the season and 5th among all Hens.
With three scoreless innings today, LHP Locke St. John has thrown 19 consecutive innings without conceding a run.
The Mud Hens scored runs in the first five innings of the game.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from July 21, 2021
- Vincent Slams the Door Shut, Saints Hang on for 7-6 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Bisons Win Again, Top Mets, 5-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Redbirds Win 11th in a Row, Tie Franchise Record - Memphis Redbirds
- Power Show Leads WooSox to a 7-4 Win over IronPigs - Worcester Red Sox
- Almora Jr. Provides Three RBIs, But Mets Fall to Bisons, 5-3, on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Columbus Scores Seven Unanswered Runs to Tie Series - Iowa Cubs
- WooSox flex their muscles in win over Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Three RailRiders Combine for No-Hitter - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings No-Hit in Scranton Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Enns, Bulls Quiet Knights 7-3 - Durham Bulls
- Mud Hens Score Early and Often in Indians Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Mud Hens Ride 11 Runs to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tides Snap Skid, Split Doubleheader against Gwinnett Wednesday - Norfolk Tides
- Wilson, Sounds Sink Shrimp in Extras - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- July 21 Game Notes: Iowa at Columbus - Iowa Cubs
- Weston Wilson Leads Sounds over Jumbo Shrimp - Nashville Sounds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - July 21, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Premier Rugby Sevens to Bring the PR7s Inaugural Championship to Memphis on October 9, 202 - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: July 21, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Saints to Honor St. Paul Colored Gophers, Phil "Daddy" Reid on July 27 - St. Paul Saints
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-32) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (36-29) - Indianapolis Indians
- Sounds Return to First Horizon Park on July 27 to Begin 13-Game Homestand - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.