Almora Jr. Provides Three RBIs, But Mets Fall to Bisons, 5-3, on Wednesday Night
Trenton, NJ - Albert Almora Jr. was responsible for every Syracuse Mets run on Wednesday night, providing a home run and three RBIs, in a 5-3 Syracuse Mets loss to the Buffalo Bisons at Trenton Thunder Ballpark. Almora Jr. has hit a home run in four of Syracuse's last five games.
Syracuse (23-44) provided the first runs of the game in the top of the second inning. After Khalil Lee worked a leadoff walk, Wilfredo Tovar doubled, putting runners at second and third base. After Cheslor Cuthbert and Drew Jackson both struck out, Almora Jr. delivered with a two-out, two-run single to hand Syracuse a 2-0 lead.
Buffalo (40-25) tied the game in the bottom of the third. With one out, Logan Warmoth reached on an error by the shortstop Tovar. Kevin Smith followed with a fly out, and Christian Colón hit a two-out single to advance Warmoth to second base. Alejandro Kirk stepped in and connected on a two-run double to tie the game, 2-2. Kirk now has seven RBIs in the first two games of the series.
In the bottom of the fourth, Cullen Large hit a leadoff double. Richard Ureña then grounded out, but Large was able to advance to third. With Nash Knight at the plate, Syracuse starting pitcher Vance Worley threw a wild pitch, allowing Large to score as Buffalo took a 3-2 lead.
Worley went five innings tonight for the Mets, allowing three runs but only one earned run on four hits, while walking four and striking out two.
With Buffalo still leading 3-2, Andrew Mitchell came in to pitch the sixth inning for Syracuse. He allowed a one-out double to Knight, and then issued a walk to Warmoth. Smith followed with an RBI single, scoring Knight to give the Bisons a 4-2 lead. Colón followed with a one-run single of his own, bringing home Warmoth to increase the lead to three, 5-2.
In the top of the seventh, Albert Almora Jr. led off the frame with a solo home run to bring the Mets within two, 5-3.
With Buffalo still leading by two, Kirby Snead came out to pitch the ninth for the Bisons and delivered a 1-2-3 inning to earn the save.
The Mets and Bisons return to Trenton Thunder Ballpark on Thursday for a 7:00 p.m. first pitch. Right-hander Akeem Bostick will take the ball for Syracuse against Buffalo southpaw Zach Logue in game three of the six-game series.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from July 21, 2021
- Vincent Slams the Door Shut, Saints Hang on for 7-6 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Bisons Win Again, Top Mets, 5-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Redbirds Win 11th in a Row, Tie Franchise Record - Memphis Redbirds
- Power Show Leads WooSox to a 7-4 Win over IronPigs - Worcester Red Sox
- Almora Jr. Provides Three RBIs, But Mets Fall to Bisons, 5-3, on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Columbus Scores Seven Unanswered Runs to Tie Series - Iowa Cubs
- WooSox flex their muscles in win over Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Three RailRiders Combine for No-Hitter - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings No-Hit in Scranton Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Enns, Bulls Quiet Knights 7-3 - Durham Bulls
- Mud Hens Score Early and Often in Indians Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Mud Hens Ride 11 Runs to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tides Snap Skid, Split Doubleheader against Gwinnett Wednesday - Norfolk Tides
- Wilson, Sounds Sink Shrimp in Extras - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- July 21 Game Notes: Iowa at Columbus - Iowa Cubs
- Weston Wilson Leads Sounds over Jumbo Shrimp - Nashville Sounds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - July 21, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Premier Rugby Sevens to Bring the PR7s Inaugural Championship to Memphis on October 9, 202 - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: July 21, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Saints to Honor St. Paul Colored Gophers, Phil "Daddy" Reid on July 27 - St. Paul Saints
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-32) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (36-29) - Indianapolis Indians
- Sounds Return to First Horizon Park on July 27 to Begin 13-Game Homestand - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Mets Stories
- Walker Makes Triple-A Debut, Syracuse Drops Fifth Straight with 10-6 Loss to Buffalo
- Buffalo Uses Seven-Run Eighth Inning to Top Syracuse, 10-4, on Thursday Night
- Almora Jr. Provides Three RBIs, But Mets Fall to Bisons, 5-3, on Wednesday Night
- Carrasco Makes Rehab Start with Syracuse, But Bisons Beat Mets 14-1 in Series Opener
- St. Joseph's Health, Heart Health Awareness Night Scheduled for October 1st