Three RailRiders Combine for No-Hitter
MOOSIC, Pa. - Luis Gil, Reggie McClain and Stephen Ridings combined to throw the fifth no-hitter in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders history on Wednesday night in an 8-0 win over the Rochester Red Wings.
It was the first no-hitter for SWB since Jeremy Cummings no-hit Rochester on Sept. 3, 2006, and the first no-no for the franchise under the Yankees affiliation. It was also the first combined no-hitter in franchise history.
Gil (3-0) tossed the first 6.0 innings for the RailRiders, allowing a walk with one out in the top of the first before settling down to retire the next 14 batters he faced. The right-hander struck out a season-high nine batters and walked two in the outing.
McClain followed him and contributed 2.0 perfect innings of relief in the seventh and eighth, while Ridings turned the Red Wings aside 1-2-3 in the ninth to close out the no-hitter. The trio combined to retire the final 12 Rochester batters in the game.
The RailRiders took the lead in the bottom of the fourth, when Socrates Brito launched a solo home run to right off Tyler Eppler. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre tacked on another in the fifth on an RBI groundout from Frederick Cuevas.
In the bottom of the sixth, the RailRiders added two more runs against Red Wings reliever Bryan Bonnell to open up a 4-0 lead. The offense broke the game open with a four-run frame in the bottom of the seventh against Ronald Pena to extend the advantage to 8-0.
POSTGAME NOTES: Eight of the nine batters in the RailRiders lineup had at least one hit, with Andrew Velazquez and Brandon Wagner each going 2-for-4... Cuevas went 1-for-4 with an RBI in his Triple-A debut... The RailRiders are now 22 games over .500, a new high-water mark for the season.
The RailRiders continue their series with the Red Wings on Thursday night at PNC Field. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. LHP Matt Krook (2-1, 2.37) takes the mound for SWB, while Rochester counters with LHP Ben Braymer (1-6, 7.65). For tickets and more information, call (570) 969-BALL or slide to www.swbrailriders.com/tickets.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from July 21, 2021
- Vincent Slams the Door Shut, Saints Hang on for 7-6 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Bisons Win Again, Top Mets, 5-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Redbirds Win 11th in a Row, Tie Franchise Record - Memphis Redbirds
- Power Show Leads WooSox to a 7-4 Win over IronPigs - Worcester Red Sox
- Almora Jr. Provides Three RBIs, But Mets Fall to Bisons, 5-3, on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Columbus Scores Seven Unanswered Runs to Tie Series - Iowa Cubs
- WooSox flex their muscles in win over Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Three RailRiders Combine for No-Hitter - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings No-Hit in Scranton Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Enns, Bulls Quiet Knights 7-3 - Durham Bulls
- Mud Hens Score Early and Often in Indians Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Mud Hens Ride 11 Runs to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tides Snap Skid, Split Doubleheader against Gwinnett Wednesday - Norfolk Tides
- Wilson, Sounds Sink Shrimp in Extras - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- July 21 Game Notes: Iowa at Columbus - Iowa Cubs
- Weston Wilson Leads Sounds over Jumbo Shrimp - Nashville Sounds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - July 21, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Premier Rugby Sevens to Bring the PR7s Inaugural Championship to Memphis on October 9, 202 - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: July 21, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Saints to Honor St. Paul Colored Gophers, Phil "Daddy" Reid on July 27 - St. Paul Saints
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-32) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (36-29) - Indianapolis Indians
- Sounds Return to First Horizon Park on July 27 to Begin 13-Game Homestand - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- RailRiders Rally with Ninth-Inning Homers
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - July 29, 2021
- Walks Nearly Burn RailRiders in 10-Inning Squeaker
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - July 28, 2021
- Syracuse Outlasts RailRiders