Power Show Leads WooSox to a 7-4 Win over IronPigs
ALLENTOWN, P.A. - The Worcester Red Sox (36-29) cracked three home runs in a 7-4 win over the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (28-39) on Wednesday night at Coca-Cola Park to snap a three-game losing skid and even the seven-game series at one win apiece.
After Lehigh Valley took a 1-0 first-inning lead on an Odubel Herrera home run, the WooSox answered by putting two men on base in the second against Iron Pigs' starter Mark Appel (2-1). Chad De La Guerra came up next, and he blasted a three-run shot (2) deep over the right field wall to put Worcester on top 3-1.
The IronPigs tied it two innings later, a frame that began with four straight hits against bulk-reliever Stephen Gonsalves (4-4). The last of those two-RBI singles from Matt Vierling and Darick Hall-made it a 3-3 game.
But the WooSox offense answered in a big way by scoring on solo homers in each of the next two frames. In the fifth, Connor Wong gave the lead back with a solo blast deep to right-center, his second long ball of the year. That swing was the final run allowed by Appel, who allowed three earned runs in five innings of work.
An inning later, Jonathan Arauz followed Wong with another homer deep to right for his fifth of the season to extend the lead to 5-3. It came against MLB-rehabbing reliever Sam Coonrod in his only inning of work.
Lehigh Valley began the seventh with a pair of walks against Gonsalves, who then got an out but allowed an RBI single that cut the lead to 5-4. Billy McMillon went to the pen, bringing in Brandon Brennan with one out and the tying run on second.
Brennan threw one pitch-it was lined up the middle by Dalton Guthrie, but it was caught by second baseman Jeter Downs who stepped on the bag to complete a lead-saving, inning-ending double play.
Worcester added insurance in the eighth and ninth. Arauz delivered an RBI single that slipped through a pulled-in infield, and Yairo Muñoz added a single that brought home one in the ninth.
The 7-4 advantage held in the ninth, as Phillips Valdez came through with a scoreless inning to record his first save of the Triple-A season. Arauz had a perfect night at the plate, going 3-for-3 with a walk, two RBI and two runs scored.
The WooSox continue the series Wednesday at 7:05 p.m. at Coca-Cola Park versus the Lehigh Valley IronPigs. Radio coverage starts live at 6:45 p.m. on 98.9 Nash Icon and the WooSox Radio Network. Matthew Kent (0-0, 7.36) gets the start for Worcester, facing David Parkinson (0-6, 6.71).
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from July 21, 2021
- Vincent Slams the Door Shut, Saints Hang on for 7-6 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Bisons Win Again, Top Mets, 5-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Redbirds Win 11th in a Row, Tie Franchise Record - Memphis Redbirds
- Power Show Leads WooSox to a 7-4 Win over IronPigs - Worcester Red Sox
- Almora Jr. Provides Three RBIs, But Mets Fall to Bisons, 5-3, on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Columbus Scores Seven Unanswered Runs to Tie Series - Iowa Cubs
- WooSox flex their muscles in win over Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Three RailRiders Combine for No-Hitter - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings No-Hit in Scranton Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Enns, Bulls Quiet Knights 7-3 - Durham Bulls
- Mud Hens Score Early and Often in Indians Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Mud Hens Ride 11 Runs to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tides Snap Skid, Split Doubleheader against Gwinnett Wednesday - Norfolk Tides
- Wilson, Sounds Sink Shrimp in Extras - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- July 21 Game Notes: Iowa at Columbus - Iowa Cubs
- Weston Wilson Leads Sounds over Jumbo Shrimp - Nashville Sounds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - July 21, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Premier Rugby Sevens to Bring the PR7s Inaugural Championship to Memphis on October 9, 202 - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: July 21, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Saints to Honor St. Paul Colored Gophers, Phil "Daddy" Reid on July 27 - St. Paul Saints
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-32) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (36-29) - Indianapolis Indians
- Sounds Return to First Horizon Park on July 27 to Begin 13-Game Homestand - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Red Sox Stories
- Matheny Delivers Three-Run Homer in Loss at Lehigh Valley
- WooSox Bring Back Free Vaccines on Remaining Los Wepas de Worcester Nights
- Muñoz' Three-Hit Night, Homer Leads WooSox to 7-5 Win
- Power Show Leads WooSox to a 7-4 Win over IronPigs
- IronPigs Roll Past WooSox in Series Opener