WooSox flex their muscles in win over Lehigh Valley
(Allentown, Pa) - The Worcester Red Sox (36-29) powered their way to victory against the Lehigh Valley IronPigs as they hit three home runs in a 7-4 win on Wednesday night.
Odubel Herrera put Lehigh Valley on the scoreboard with a solo home run to lead off the bottom of the first inning. The WooSox answered with a home run of their own, a three-run home run in the top of the second inning by Chad De La Guerra.
The IronPigs were able to tie the game at 3-3 in the bottom of the fourth inning when Matt Vierling and Darick Hall both hit RBI singles. Worcester regained the lead in the top of the fifth inning when Connor Wong hit a solo home run, his second of the season. Jonathan Arauz followed with his fifth home run of the season in the top of the sixth inning to give Worcester a 5-3 lead.
Rafael Marchan hit an RBI single in the bottom of the seventh inning to cut Worcester's lead to 5-4. The WooSox scored a run in the top of the eighth and ninth innings to extend their lead to 7-4.
Mickey Moniak and Dalton Guthrie both extended their hitting streaks to 11 games. Stephen Gonsalves (4-4) earned the win for Worcester, while Mark Appel (2-1) took the loss. Phillips Valdez earned his first save of the season.
Lehigh Valley and Worcester play on Thursday evening at 7:05 p.m. from Coca-Cola Park.
Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2021 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from July 21, 2021
- Vincent Slams the Door Shut, Saints Hang on for 7-6 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Bisons Win Again, Top Mets, 5-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Redbirds Win 11th in a Row, Tie Franchise Record - Memphis Redbirds
- Power Show Leads WooSox to a 7-4 Win over IronPigs - Worcester Red Sox
- Almora Jr. Provides Three RBIs, But Mets Fall to Bisons, 5-3, on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Columbus Scores Seven Unanswered Runs to Tie Series - Iowa Cubs
- WooSox flex their muscles in win over Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Three RailRiders Combine for No-Hitter - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings No-Hit in Scranton Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Enns, Bulls Quiet Knights 7-3 - Durham Bulls
- Mud Hens Score Early and Often in Indians Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Mud Hens Ride 11 Runs to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tides Snap Skid, Split Doubleheader against Gwinnett Wednesday - Norfolk Tides
- Wilson, Sounds Sink Shrimp in Extras - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- July 21 Game Notes: Iowa at Columbus - Iowa Cubs
- Weston Wilson Leads Sounds over Jumbo Shrimp - Nashville Sounds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - July 21, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Premier Rugby Sevens to Bring the PR7s Inaugural Championship to Memphis on October 9, 202 - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: July 21, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Saints to Honor St. Paul Colored Gophers, Phil "Daddy" Reid on July 27 - St. Paul Saints
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-32) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (36-29) - Indianapolis Indians
- Sounds Return to First Horizon Park on July 27 to Begin 13-Game Homestand - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.