Bisons Win Again, Top Mets, 5-3
The Buffalo Bisons' used a bullpen game Wednesday night to strike out 11 and stifle the Mets offense, earning their 40th win of the season, 5-3. Alejandro Kirk had a two-run double and Kevin Smith came through again with the eventual game-winning hit.
Jeremy Beasley got the ball first for Buffalo making his second consecutive spot start after starting against Leigh Valley just three days prior. The righty got four of his five outs via the strikeout, but did surrender a two-run single to Alberto Almora in the second as Syracuse took the early lead.
From there, the Bisons shut down the Mets. Jacob Waguespack took over for Beasley after 1.2 innings and put together an extended appearance pitching three scoreless frames and striking out a pair to earn the win before handing the game off Connor Overton who allowed a single run. It went from Bryan Baker to Kirby Snead from there as the lefty earned his fourth save of the season.
Buffalo and manager Casey Candaele could afford to expend some extra arms with a bullpen game thanks to seven innings of work from Bowden Francis on Tuesday night. Buffalo has utilized the bullpen game exceptionally well starting relievers on 14 occasions throughout the season.
A Mets error opened the door for the first Buffalo runs in the third. After Logan Warmoth reached via the throwing error and Christian Colon singled, Alejandro Kirk cleared the bases and tied the game at two with a two-out double off the right-field wall.
Kirk officially joined the Bisons full-time Tuesday, after being optioned from the Toronto Blue Jays, and the Herd could not be more delighted to have him on the roster. The Captain has wielded the hottest bat in the Buffalo lineup producing six hits and seven RBIs over two games against the Mets.
Cullen Large led off the fourth with a double, advanced to third on a ground out and scored to take the lead via a wild pitch.
Holding on dearly to a one-run lead, Buffalo got a pair of insurance runs in the sixth via the most reliable bats in their lineup. Kevin Smith, with a team-best .975 OPS, singled to right field to drive home Nash Knight and Christian Colon, with the second-best .893 OPS, followed with another single to drive home Warmoth.
Buffalo became just the fifth team in Triple-A East to reach the 40-win mark as they continue to keep pace with the Northeast division leading Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders, 3.5 games back.
In addition, the Herd continued to dominate the Mets Wednesday leading the season series 10-4 and winning seven of their last eight matchups.
The Bisons will continue their final series from Trenton Thunder Ballpark Thursday where they are 25-13 and 7-1 in the current homestand. The first pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. with lefty Zach Logue expected to take the hill for the Herd.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from July 21, 2021
- Vincent Slams the Door Shut, Saints Hang on for 7-6 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Bisons Win Again, Top Mets, 5-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Redbirds Win 11th in a Row, Tie Franchise Record - Memphis Redbirds
- Power Show Leads WooSox to a 7-4 Win over IronPigs - Worcester Red Sox
- Almora Jr. Provides Three RBIs, But Mets Fall to Bisons, 5-3, on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Columbus Scores Seven Unanswered Runs to Tie Series - Iowa Cubs
- WooSox flex their muscles in win over Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Three RailRiders Combine for No-Hitter - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings No-Hit in Scranton Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Enns, Bulls Quiet Knights 7-3 - Durham Bulls
- Mud Hens Score Early and Often in Indians Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Mud Hens Ride 11 Runs to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tides Snap Skid, Split Doubleheader against Gwinnett Wednesday - Norfolk Tides
- Wilson, Sounds Sink Shrimp in Extras - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- July 21 Game Notes: Iowa at Columbus - Iowa Cubs
- Weston Wilson Leads Sounds over Jumbo Shrimp - Nashville Sounds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - July 21, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Premier Rugby Sevens to Bring the PR7s Inaugural Championship to Memphis on October 9, 202 - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: July 21, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Saints to Honor St. Paul Colored Gophers, Phil "Daddy" Reid on July 27 - St. Paul Saints
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-32) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (36-29) - Indianapolis Indians
- Sounds Return to First Horizon Park on July 27 to Begin 13-Game Homestand - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.