Columbus Scores Seven Unanswered Runs to Tie Series
COLUMBUS, OH - The Iowa Cubs (27-37) surrendered seven unanswered runs to the Columbus Clippers (28-37) and fell 7-4, Wednesday at Huntington Park.
Iowa got out to an early 4-0 lead, scoring four two-out runs in the second inning off of starter Kevin Herget. Tyler Ladendorf hit an RBI double followed by an Erick Castillo single and Trayce Thompson finished off the scoring with a two-run shot.
Columbus would cut the lead in half in the third, when Alex Call hit a two-run homer of his own. They added a run in the fourth and three more in the fifth, knocking Cory Abbott out of the game after throwing just 4.2 innings.
Herget settled in, completing five innings of four-run ball while striking out five. He was relieved by Francisco Perez, who spun three scoreless innings while striking out six to keep Columbus in front.
The Clippers extended their lead to 7-4 when Nolan Jones hit a solo home run, his second in as many games this series. DJ Johnson allowed the tying run to come to the plate in the ninth inning, but struck out Thompson to complete the comeback and secure the 7-4 victory for Columbus.
- After three more home runs in tonight's game, Columbus has now hit eight home runs against Iowa pitching this series after hitting five last night in game one.
- Despite giving up two hits and a walk, Dakota Mekkes threw a scoreless frame tonight, lowering his ERA on the year with Iowa to 2.42.
- Nolan Jones has now hit three home runs in his last three games against Iowa, dating back to the final game of their last series, on Sunday, June 13.
Iowa and Columbus will face off for game three of the series tomorrow, with an early first pitch set for 11:05 am CT, Thursday at Huntington Park. For more information and tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from July 21, 2021
- Vincent Slams the Door Shut, Saints Hang on for 7-6 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Bisons Win Again, Top Mets, 5-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Redbirds Win 11th in a Row, Tie Franchise Record - Memphis Redbirds
- Power Show Leads WooSox to a 7-4 Win over IronPigs - Worcester Red Sox
- Almora Jr. Provides Three RBIs, But Mets Fall to Bisons, 5-3, on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Columbus Scores Seven Unanswered Runs to Tie Series - Iowa Cubs
- WooSox flex their muscles in win over Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Three RailRiders Combine for No-Hitter - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings No-Hit in Scranton Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Enns, Bulls Quiet Knights 7-3 - Durham Bulls
- Mud Hens Score Early and Often in Indians Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Mud Hens Ride 11 Runs to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tides Snap Skid, Split Doubleheader against Gwinnett Wednesday - Norfolk Tides
- Wilson, Sounds Sink Shrimp in Extras - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- July 21 Game Notes: Iowa at Columbus - Iowa Cubs
- Weston Wilson Leads Sounds over Jumbo Shrimp - Nashville Sounds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - July 21, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Premier Rugby Sevens to Bring the PR7s Inaugural Championship to Memphis on October 9, 202 - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: July 21, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Saints to Honor St. Paul Colored Gophers, Phil "Daddy" Reid on July 27 - St. Paul Saints
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-32) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (36-29) - Indianapolis Indians
- Sounds Return to First Horizon Park on July 27 to Begin 13-Game Homestand - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.