Morales Fans 10 But Birds Walk-Off with 2-1 Win on Wednesday
SALISBURY, MD - Alexis Torres singled home Cadyn Grenier in the ninth inning to give Delmarva a 2-1 win over the BlueClaws on Wednesday afternoon at Perdue Stadium.
The BlueClaws (15-30) lost in walk-off fashion for the third time on their current road trip and the fifth time this season. Delmarva (34-10) won their fourth walk-off game of the season, second against Lakewood. The Shorebirds are 5-1 against the BlueClaws this year with all six games decided by three runs or less.
Torres' hit came off Gilmael Troya after Grenier singled to start the inning off of Victor Santos (2-4). Santos gave up one run over three innings and took the loss.
Shorebirds reliever Tim Naughton (2-2) threw two scoreless innings to earn the win.
The BlueClaws got a run in the first inning when Malvin Matos grounded into a double play with the bases loaded on which Jonathan Guzman scored from third.
Delmarva tied the game in the fourth inning on an RBI single by Adam Hall.
Lakewood starter Francisco Morales gave up one unearned run over four innings. He struck out 10, a season high and the most by any BlueClaws pitcher this year. Morales, 19, has now struck out 44 hitters in his last 22.2 innings of work.
Shorebirds starter Grey Fenter came out after 5.1 innings of work, allowing one run and walking five while striking out six.
Morales (10), Robinson Martinez (2), and Santos (5) combined to strike out 17 Shorebirds, most by the BlueClaws this year.
The teams continue their series on Thursday night at 7:05 pm. RHP Kevin Gowdy (0-1) starts for Lakewood opposite LHP Drew Rom (2-0).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Suns Offense Stifled in 2-1 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Stowers Smacks Two Homers as Charleston's Slide Continues in Asheville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Two-Out Hitting Powers Tourists to Fourth Straight Home Win - Asheville Tourists
- Bats Do Just Enough as Kannapolis Pitching Shuts Down Hagerstown - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- GreenJackets Win, Pull Within a 1/2 Game of 1st Place - Augusta GreenJackets
- Kelenic Homers in 17-7 Blowout Loss - West Virginia Power
- Aparicio Stays Hot in 8-3 Loss to Legends - Hickory Crawdads
- Torres Knock Wins Wild One for 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Moreno Homers But Columbia's Win Streak Snapped - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (May 22) - West Virginia Power
- Morales Fans 10 But Birds Walk-Off with 2-1 Win on Wednesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Return for Memorial Day Weekend, Honoring Military as Part of Four Days at the Joe - Charleston RiverDogs
- "Cover Your Bases" Sun Safety Initiative Gets Underway this Memorial Day - Hagerstown Suns
- Bill on Baseball: No Dramatics, But Hoppers Find a Way - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 22 vs. Greenville (Game 46) - Columbia Fireflies
- Braves Outlast GreenJackets 7-5 in Opener - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.