Fireflies Game Notes - May 22 vs. Greenville (Game 46)
Columbia Fireflies (18-27) vs. Greenville Drive (17-27)
RHP S. Woods-Richardson (0-6, 7.24) vs. RHP Chris Machamer (1-1, 5.28)
Wed., May 22, 2019 - Segra Park (Columbia, SC) - First Pitch 11:05 a.m. - Game 46
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
LAST TIME OUT: Columbia soared past Greenville on Tuesday and defeated its rivals in the upstate, 5-2. The Fireflies used a four-run sixth inning to propel to victory. Columbia entered the frame down one and exited up three after Wagner Lagrange (triple) and Hayden Senger (double) ripped back-to-back extra-base hits. Lagrange finished with a pair of hits, as did Chase Chambers and Brian Sharp. Bryce Hutchinson picked up the victory after hurling 3.2 strong, shut-out innings on the slope.
CATCHING THEIR STRIDE: Columbia has now won three straight games, its longest win streak of the year and an impressive one at that considering the club was once a franchise-worst 14 games below .500 on May 9. Since that date, the Fireflies are 9-4 over their last 13 games.
IRON MAN: Columbia first baseman Chase Chambers posted another productive day at the plate on Tuesday. The first baseman finished 2-for-4 with two doubles and an RBI. Over his last 11 games (since May 11), Chambers is hitting .378 (14-for-37) with five doubles, a homer and 6 RBI.
HELLO, OLD FRIEND: The series against Greenville features a battle between a pair of former teammates. Prospects Mark Vientos (#4 - NYM) and Triston Casas (#5 - BOS) played their high school ball together at American Heritage High (FL). The Miami natives are both talented hitters, and were selected in consecutive draft classes out of high school (Vientos: 2nd round, '17, Casas: 1st round, '18).
THE 'VILLE: Columbia opens its series against Greenville on Tuesday. It will be the first of 15 meetings between the two clubs in 2019. Last season, the Fireflies had a 6-6 record against the Drive.
TOP OF THE MORNING TO YA: Wednesday is another Reading Program Day at Segra Park. To learn more about the program, click here.
FOLLOW THE LAW: Keith Law, senior baseball writer at ESPN, ranked Columbia's roster as the 7th-most "Loaded Roster" in all of Minor League Baseball. Law recognized the fact Columbia's roster includes the Mets' third, fourth and fifth-rated prospects (infielders Ronny Mauricio, Mark Vientos and Shervyen Newton, respectively), New York's past two second-round draft choices (RHP Simeon Woods-Richardson, Vientos) and the system's ninth-rated prospect, left-hander Thomas Szapucki (drafted in the fifth round in 2015). The roster also features 26th (Baseball America) and 27th-rated prospects Chris Viall and Christian James. The prospect rankings are according to MLB.com unless otherwise noted.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Suns Offense Stifled in 2-1 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Stowers Smacks Two Homers as Charleston's Slide Continues in Asheville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Two-Out Hitting Powers Tourists to Fourth Straight Home Win - Asheville Tourists
- Bats Do Just Enough as Kannapolis Pitching Shuts Down Hagerstown - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- GreenJackets Win, Pull Within a 1/2 Game of 1st Place - Augusta GreenJackets
- Kelenic Homers in 17-7 Blowout Loss - West Virginia Power
- Aparicio Stays Hot in 8-3 Loss to Legends - Hickory Crawdads
- Torres Knock Wins Wild One for 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Moreno Homers But Columbia's Win Streak Snapped - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (May 22) - West Virginia Power
- Morales Fans 10 But Birds Walk-Off with 2-1 Win on Wednesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Return for Memorial Day Weekend, Honoring Military as Part of Four Days at the Joe - Charleston RiverDogs
- "Cover Your Bases" Sun Safety Initiative Gets Underway this Memorial Day - Hagerstown Suns
- Bill on Baseball: No Dramatics, But Hoppers Find a Way - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 22 vs. Greenville (Game 46) - Columbia Fireflies
- Braves Outlast GreenJackets 7-5 in Opener - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.