GreenJackets Win, Pull Within a 1/2 Game of 1st Place
North Augusta, SC: After the GreenJackets (23-22) committed six errors the previous night, they did not commit an error on Wednesday and the offense came back and collected 11 hits, including a three-run 7th inning, to defeat the Rome Braves (22-24) by a final of 6-5.
Justin Dean led the game off in a big way for Rome. A leadoff home run put the Braves up early. It was the first home run GreenJackets starter Seth Corry had allowed this season. The GreenJackets answered right back in the bottom of the 1st inning though.
With Mikey Edie on 3rd base, Frankie Tostado grounded out to allow Edie to score, and it was tied at one after the first inning. Corry finished his night after just two innings. While he only allowed one run, he walked four while striking-out two.
After JJ Santa Cruz retired the side in the 3rd inning, the Rome Braves offense plated two runs in the 4th inning. An RBI double for Carlos Paraguate, followed by an RBI single for Justin Dean extended the Rome lead to 3-1.
The GreenJackets answered in the 5th inning. With Odalvi Javier still on the mound for Rome, the Braves starter allowed a two out double off the bat of Mikey Edie. It made the score just 3-2 Rome. Matheny doubled immediately after, and the game was tied up at three.
The Jackets broke the tie in the 6th inning. With the bases loaded and Frankie Tostado at the dish, two wild pitches scored Orlando Garcia and Mikey Edie. Tostado then ripped a single to right field, to score Shane Matheny, and plate the 3rd run of the inning giving the Jackets a 6-3 lead.
Sandro Cabrera, in his 2019 GreenJackets debut, gave the Jackets 2.2 innings of shutout ball on the mound out of the bullpen.
Rome made it interesting in the 9th, Trey Harris hit a two run home run to make it 6-5, but Franklin Van Gurp got the final three outs, and the Jackets won it 6-5.
Player of the Game: Mikey Edie, 3-4, 3 R, RBI
Mikey Edie has been swinging a hot bat recently. His three-hit night on Wednesday was his first one of the season, and he now has multi-hit games in four of his last six contests.
Tomorrow's Game: 7:05 PM vs Rome Braves (Atlanta Braves), SRP Park, North Augusta, South Carolina
Pitching Matchup: (ROM) RHP Alan Rangel (3-2, 5.40 ERA) vs (AUG) RHP Keith Weisenberg (0-0, 0.00 ERA, 4.03 ERA)
PROMOTION: Celebration of the 2000's | Thirsty Thursday
Keith Weisenberg will make his first start of the season tomorrow for the Jackets. Weisenberg was a 14th round pick in 2017 by the Atlanta Braves. At 6'5", 195 lbs, Weisenberg has accumulated a career ERA of 5.05 in the minor leagues. He will face the Rome Braves, which he played for in 2017 making nine starts and posting an ERA of 4.91 for Rome. Weisenberg was drafted out of Stanford University where he had a 4.22 ERA in his final season there.
On the mound for Rome, it will be the right-hander Alan Rangel. Rangel was signed by the Braves back in 2014 out of Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico. So far this season he's been able to give Rome at least five innings on the mound in five of the six starts that he has made.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Suns Offense Stifled in 2-1 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Stowers Smacks Two Homers as Charleston's Slide Continues in Asheville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Two-Out Hitting Powers Tourists to Fourth Straight Home Win - Asheville Tourists
- Bats Do Just Enough as Kannapolis Pitching Shuts Down Hagerstown - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- GreenJackets Win, Pull Within a 1/2 Game of 1st Place - Augusta GreenJackets
- Kelenic Homers in 17-7 Blowout Loss - West Virginia Power
- Aparicio Stays Hot in 8-3 Loss to Legends - Hickory Crawdads
- Torres Knock Wins Wild One for 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Moreno Homers But Columbia's Win Streak Snapped - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (May 22) - West Virginia Power
- Morales Fans 10 But Birds Walk-Off with 2-1 Win on Wednesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Return for Memorial Day Weekend, Honoring Military as Part of Four Days at the Joe - Charleston RiverDogs
- "Cover Your Bases" Sun Safety Initiative Gets Underway this Memorial Day - Hagerstown Suns
- Bill on Baseball: No Dramatics, But Hoppers Find a Way - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 22 vs. Greenville (Game 46) - Columbia Fireflies
- Braves Outlast GreenJackets 7-5 in Opener - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Augusta GreenJackets Stories
- SRP Park College Baseball Showcase to Host USC Upstate v. the University of South Carolina
- Augusta GreenJackets Praise Congressional Effort
- SRP Park to Host Georgia Southern v. the University of Georgia
- 2nd Annual Palmetto Peach Half Marathon, 10k & 5k
- 6th Annual Line Drive Canned Food Drive