Suns Offense Stifled in 2-1 Loss
HAGERSTOWN, MD - After scoring a run in the bottom of the first, the Suns offense wasn't able to muster anything against the Intimidators in a 2-1 loss at Municipal Stadium Wednesday evening.
Gilbert Lara finished 3-for-3 with three singles, which helped the Suns (20-25) outhit Kannapolis (20-25), but they weren't able to outscore Kannapolis after Francys Peguero (L, 2-3) tossed a wild pitch in the third that allowed Lenyn Sosa to score from third to put Kannapolis up 2-1.
The two teams traded runs in the first. Kannapolis started the scoring after Ian Dawkins shot a double off the left-center field wall to lead off the game. After Peguero retired the next two batters, he allowed a double from Alex Destino that scored Dawkins to break the scoreless tie.
Hagerstown answered right back in the home half of the inning. Lara started things off with a two out single and Jacob Rhinesmith kept the ball rolling, with a base knock of his own that moved Lara to third. After that, Johan Dominguez (W, 1-2) threw a ball that passed catcher Jhoandro Alfaro, which allowed Lara to scamper home from third to tie the game.
Peguero finished the evening with a quality start despite the loss. The righty has now worked at least five innings while allowing two runs or less in each of his last seven outings. After Peguero exited the game, the Suns were able to milk three scoreless innings from their bullpen to keep them within one.
Aaron Fletcher was the first arm out of the pen. The lefty spun two hitless innings while fanning a pair before handing the ball to Jared Brasher. The Alabama-native twirled a three-up three-down ninth to give the bats one last opportunity in a one-run contest.
It turns out Kannapolis's bullpen was equally as strong. Lane Ramsey went through a scoreless seventh before Vince Arobio (S, 1) slammed the door shut, fanning a pair in as many innings to finish the game.
With the series tied and both teams vying for control of fifth in the Northern Division, Municipal Stadium hosts the third game of the set Thursday night at 7:05 p.m. RHP Tomas Alastre (3-3, 5.89 ERA) starts on the bump for Hagerstown, while Kannapolis works RHP Kade McClure (1-2, 3.25 ERA) against the Suns tomorrow.
There's still plenty of time to head to the yard this homestand. Tomorrow is Thirsty Thursday night, meaning Municipal Stadium hosts beer specials beginning at just $2. The homestand wraps up with High School Pride night Friday. For tickets or more information call 301-791-6266 or visit hagerstownsuns.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Suns Offense Stifled in 2-1 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Stowers Smacks Two Homers as Charleston's Slide Continues in Asheville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Two-Out Hitting Powers Tourists to Fourth Straight Home Win - Asheville Tourists
- Bats Do Just Enough as Kannapolis Pitching Shuts Down Hagerstown - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- GreenJackets Win, Pull Within a 1/2 Game of 1st Place - Augusta GreenJackets
- Kelenic Homers in 17-7 Blowout Loss - West Virginia Power
- Aparicio Stays Hot in 8-3 Loss to Legends - Hickory Crawdads
- Torres Knock Wins Wild One for 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Moreno Homers But Columbia's Win Streak Snapped - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (May 22) - West Virginia Power
- Morales Fans 10 But Birds Walk-Off with 2-1 Win on Wednesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Return for Memorial Day Weekend, Honoring Military as Part of Four Days at the Joe - Charleston RiverDogs
- "Cover Your Bases" Sun Safety Initiative Gets Underway this Memorial Day - Hagerstown Suns
- Bill on Baseball: No Dramatics, But Hoppers Find a Way - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 22 vs. Greenville (Game 46) - Columbia Fireflies
- Braves Outlast GreenJackets 7-5 in Opener - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.