Aparicio Stays Hot in 8-3 Loss to Legends
Hickory, NC - The Crawdads fell to the Lexington Legends 8-3 on Wednesday night. With the Crawdads' extra-inning win last night, the series is now tied at one game each.
For the second day in a row, the 'Dads put up two runs in the first inning to take a 2-0 lead. Jonathan Ornelas started the inning off with a single. Miguel Aparicio followed up with a triple to give the 'Dads their first run. Aparicio was brought in on a sacrifice fly by Curtis Terry.
The Legends responded with four runs in the top of the second to pull ahead 4-2. 'Dads starting pitcher Cole Winn, who was a first round draft pick last season, finished his night after getting just four outs, all strikeouts. He allowed one hit and walked three and was charged with all four runs.
Another pair of runs by the Legends in the third inning put the 'Dads behind 6-2.
The Crawdads got a run back in the sixth inning but still trailed the Legends. Terry and Sherten Apostel singled to get things going. Both advanced on a wild pitch before Gonzalez delivered an RBI single.
Lexington added two more runs in the eighth to take an 8-3 lead.
On the bases Matt Whatley swiped his thirteenth base of the season and Gonzalez stole his fourth. Whatley's thirteen steals are tied for sixth most in the South Atlantic League.
The series continues tomorrow night at 7pm with Thirsty Thursday. Discounted Pepsi products and draft beer will be available thanks to Sheetz and Focus News. It is also Thanksgiving in May and the evening will feature food themed on-fields and other salutes to the holiday.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Suns Offense Stifled in 2-1 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Stowers Smacks Two Homers as Charleston's Slide Continues in Asheville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Two-Out Hitting Powers Tourists to Fourth Straight Home Win - Asheville Tourists
- Bats Do Just Enough as Kannapolis Pitching Shuts Down Hagerstown - Kannapolis Intimidators
- GreenJackets Win, Pull Within a 1/2 Game of 1st Place - Augusta GreenJackets
- Kelenic Homers in 17-7 Blowout Loss - West Virginia Power
- Aparicio Stays Hot in 8-3 Loss to Legends - Hickory Crawdads
- Torres Knock Wins Wild One for 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Moreno Homers But Columbia's Win Streak Snapped - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (May 22) - West Virginia Power
- Morales Fans 10 But Birds Walk-Off with 2-1 Win on Wednesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Return for Memorial Day Weekend, Honoring Military as Part of Four Days at the Joe - Charleston RiverDogs
- "Cover Your Bases" Sun Safety Initiative Gets Underway this Memorial Day - Hagerstown Suns
- Bill on Baseball: No Dramatics, But Hoppers Find a Way - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 22 vs. Greenville (Game 46) - Columbia Fireflies
- Braves Outlast GreenJackets 7-5 in Opener - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.