Bats Do Just Enough as Kannapolis Pitching Shuts Down Hagerstown
HAGERSTOWN, MD - The Kannapolis Intimidators (20-25) took game two of the four-game series against the Hagerstown Suns (20-25) Wednesday night by a score of 2-1, using a solid start from Johan Dominguez and good work out of the bullpen to close out the game on the road.
It didn't take long for Kannapolis to strike on the road in Hagerstown. Ian Dawkins led off the game with his team leading 16th double, then a couple batters later was driven in from an Alex Destino double to give the Intimidators a 1-0 lead.
In the bottom half of the first, Jacob Rhinesmith was able to score on a passed ball from Jhandro Alfaro with two outs to knot things at 1-1.
Despite five hits between the two teams in the first inning, there were just a combined four hits for the remainder of the game.
In the top of the third, Lenyn Sosa hit his 15th double of the season, advanced to third on a fly ball from Romy Gonzalez, and then gave Kannapolis a 2-1 lead on a wild pitch from Francys Peguero.
Dominquez (W, 1-2) notched his first win of the season with a final line of 6 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, and 3 K. Lane Ramsey (H, 1) and Vince Arobio (S, 1) combined for three scoreless innings the rest of the way, striking out three and giving up no hits, giving Kannapolis a 2-1 win.
Kannapolis will take on Hagerstown at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, as Kade McClure (1-2, 3.25 ERS) will toe the rubber for the Intimidators against the Suns' Tomas Alastre (3-3, 5.89 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Suns Offense Stifled in 2-1 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Stowers Smacks Two Homers as Charleston's Slide Continues in Asheville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Two-Out Hitting Powers Tourists to Fourth Straight Home Win - Asheville Tourists
- Bats Do Just Enough as Kannapolis Pitching Shuts Down Hagerstown - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- GreenJackets Win, Pull Within a 1/2 Game of 1st Place - Augusta GreenJackets
- Kelenic Homers in 17-7 Blowout Loss - West Virginia Power
- Aparicio Stays Hot in 8-3 Loss to Legends - Hickory Crawdads
- Torres Knock Wins Wild One for 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Moreno Homers But Columbia's Win Streak Snapped - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (May 22) - West Virginia Power
- Morales Fans 10 But Birds Walk-Off with 2-1 Win on Wednesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Return for Memorial Day Weekend, Honoring Military as Part of Four Days at the Joe - Charleston RiverDogs
- "Cover Your Bases" Sun Safety Initiative Gets Underway this Memorial Day - Hagerstown Suns
- Bill on Baseball: No Dramatics, But Hoppers Find a Way - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 22 vs. Greenville (Game 46) - Columbia Fireflies
- Braves Outlast GreenJackets 7-5 in Opener - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.