Kelenic Homers in 17-7 Blowout Loss
CHARLESTON, W.Va. - Jarred Kelenic homered for the second consecutive night, but West Virginia was drubbed by the Greensboro Grasshoppers, 17-7, Wednesday night at Appalachian Power Park.
Much like last night, the Grasshoppers (31-14) jumped in front early with a six-run inning against Power starter Steven Moyers (3-4) in the first.
The Power (22-23) answered with a single run in the second, as Bobby Honeyman came in to score on an RBI groundout from Joseph Rosa. However, the Grasshoppers tacked on two more runs in the fourth and extended the lead to 8-1.
Kelenic led off the bottom of the fourth with a home run for the second straight night, closing the gap to 8-2. The roundtripper started a string of three straight innings that West Virginia tallied a run, slimming the deficit to 8-4.
Johnny Slater laced an RBI double off the wall in right field that scored Nick Rodriguez in the fifth. Then in the sixth, West Virginia added another run following Kelenic's leadoff triple and an groundout from J.R. Davis.
After two scoreless innings from Devin Sweet, Dayeison Arias fired a 1-2-3 seventh frame. However, in the top of the eighth, Greensboro struck for two unearned runs against Arias and pushed their lead to 10-4.
The Grasshoppers unloaded for a seven-spot in the ninth to put the game away. In the bottom of the inning, the Power brought in three more runs thanks to a two-run triple from Slater, who later scored on a wild pitch.
Alex Manasa improved to 5-0 on the season after hurling a quality start, while Cam Alldred (S, 1) notched his first save with three innings of relief.
West Virginia continues their four-game set with Greensboro Thursday night, with first pitch set for 7:05 p.m. RHP Deivy Florido (2-0, 0.79 ERA) heads to the hill for the Power, while the Grasshoppers counter with righty Brad Case (6-1, 1.63 ERA). Pregame coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on The Jock 1300 and 1340 AM, as well as online at wvpower.com and via the TuneIn Radio App and MiLB First Pitch App.
The Power keeps rolling with their longest homestand of 2019 with another Thirsty Thursday, presented by Rock 105! Get $2.00 cans and 20-ounce beverages, while college students can purchase two tickets for the price of one with a valid student ID only at the box office. The highlight of the homestand comes Saturday, May 25, on Redneck Night with an Austin Meadows bobblehead giveaway for the first 1,000 fans in the ballpark. For tickets and more information, call us at 304-344-2287 or visit wvpower.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Suns Offense Stifled in 2-1 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Stowers Smacks Two Homers as Charleston's Slide Continues in Asheville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Two-Out Hitting Powers Tourists to Fourth Straight Home Win - Asheville Tourists
- Bats Do Just Enough as Kannapolis Pitching Shuts Down Hagerstown - Kannapolis Intimidators
- GreenJackets Win, Pull Within a 1/2 Game of 1st Place - Augusta GreenJackets
- Kelenic Homers in 17-7 Blowout Loss - West Virginia Power
- Aparicio Stays Hot in 8-3 Loss to Legends - Hickory Crawdads
- Torres Knock Wins Wild One for 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Moreno Homers But Columbia's Win Streak Snapped - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (May 22) - West Virginia Power
- Morales Fans 10 But Birds Walk-Off with 2-1 Win on Wednesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Return for Memorial Day Weekend, Honoring Military as Part of Four Days at the Joe - Charleston RiverDogs
- "Cover Your Bases" Sun Safety Initiative Gets Underway this Memorial Day - Hagerstown Suns
- Bill on Baseball: No Dramatics, But Hoppers Find a Way - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 22 vs. Greenville (Game 46) - Columbia Fireflies
- Braves Outlast GreenJackets 7-5 in Opener - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.