Two-Out Hitting Powers Tourists to Fourth Straight Home Win
ASHEVILLE - The Asheville Tourists recorded their fourth straight home win on Wednesday night with a 10-8 victory over the Charleston RiverDogs. The Tourists delivered five two-out RBI hits in the contest and staved off a furious ninth inning comeback attempt by the RiverDogs.
In the bottom of the second inning Asheville opened the scoring with a beautiful double-steal of first and third base with two outs. Daniel Montano swiped second and John Cresto raced home from third. After the RiverDogs tied the score with a solo Home Run in the third, Asheville plated a pair of runs in the bottom of the frame on a two-run, two-out single by Cresto.
Charleston bounced back with three in the top of the fourth but once again Asheville answered. Terrin Vavra clubbed a two-out RBI double to tie the game and two batters later Willie MacIver launched a three-run Home Run over the right field wall.
Asheville added to their lead on a second two-out hit by Cresto in the sixth; a lined double into the left field corner. Cresto was not done. He delivered another two-out RBI double in the ninth inning to give the Tourists a 10-6 advantage heading into the final frame.
The RiverDogs made things interesting by plating two runs and loading the bases - all with no outs. Asheville turned to Jake Bird and the right-hander induced a fielder's choice at home plate followed by a game-ending double play turned by the middle infielders.
Ryan Feltner earned his third win of the season by tossing five frames and striking out six. Boby Johnson and PJ Poulin both picked up holds with quality work out of the bullpen.
Asheville will attempt to gain more ground in the Southern division on Thursday with a 7:05pm matchup with Charleston at McCormick Field.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Suns Offense Stifled in 2-1 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Stowers Smacks Two Homers as Charleston's Slide Continues in Asheville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Two-Out Hitting Powers Tourists to Fourth Straight Home Win - Asheville Tourists
- Bats Do Just Enough as Kannapolis Pitching Shuts Down Hagerstown - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- GreenJackets Win, Pull Within a 1/2 Game of 1st Place - Augusta GreenJackets
- Kelenic Homers in 17-7 Blowout Loss - West Virginia Power
- Aparicio Stays Hot in 8-3 Loss to Legends - Hickory Crawdads
- Torres Knock Wins Wild One for 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Moreno Homers But Columbia's Win Streak Snapped - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (May 22) - West Virginia Power
- Morales Fans 10 But Birds Walk-Off with 2-1 Win on Wednesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Return for Memorial Day Weekend, Honoring Military as Part of Four Days at the Joe - Charleston RiverDogs
- "Cover Your Bases" Sun Safety Initiative Gets Underway this Memorial Day - Hagerstown Suns
- Bill on Baseball: No Dramatics, But Hoppers Find a Way - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 22 vs. Greenville (Game 46) - Columbia Fireflies
- Braves Outlast GreenJackets 7-5 in Opener - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.