MoonDogs Drop Finale vs. Huskies to Fall Victim of Sweep at Home
MANKATO, Minn. - The Mankato MoonDogs (43-23) fell victim of a two-game sweep with a 6-0 loss in a series finale vs. the Duluth Huskies (29-37), Thursday night at ISG Field.Â
The Huskies hit the ground running with one run in the opening inning beforeÂ Mike BoeveÂ (Nebraska Omaha) andÂ Calyn HalvorsonÂ (Northern Oklahoma) launched two home runs in the third inning to give the Huskies a 6-0 lead. Then, in the fourth inning, the Huskies piled on six more runs to make it a 12-0 game at ISG Field.
The MoonDogs got on the board in the bottom of the fifth inning and scored four runs on two hits.Â Will HanafanÂ (Nebraska Omaha),Â Matt HigginsÂ (Bellarmine) andÂ Jack CostelloÂ (San Diego) each had RBI in the four-run fifth inning as the Dogs exited the frame trailing the Huskies 12-4.
After stretching time at ISG Field,Â Carson YatesÂ (UCLA) cut the MoonDogs' deficit in half, 12-8, with a grand slam to left which was his third home run of the summer.
The Huskies added two more runs in the eighth to take a 14-8 lead in which they held onto the rest of the evening for a six-run victory.
While being outhit 12-8 in the finale, Mankato struggled in the field and had four errors opposed to Duluth's one miscue on the night.
Getting the win was the final relief arm for the Huskies,Â Grant TaivalÂ (St. Scholastica). With the victory, Taival got his first win and moved to 1-0 this summer. The loss went to MoonDog starting pitcher, and everyday reliever,Â Dalton MesarisÂ (Western Kentucky) as he fell to 4-2 in the 2021 campaign after spanning two and a third innings in the contest.
Up next, the Mankato MoonDogs get set to conclude the 2021 regular season by playing host to the Rochester Honkers (29-36) at ISG Field. First pitch for game one of the series on Friday is slated for 6:35 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 12, 2021
- Honkers Drop Home Finale with La Crosse 14-4 - Rochester Honkers
- Rivets Rolled by Kingfish to Finish Road Schedule - Rockford Rivets
- Mallards' Ninth Inning Rally Not Enough at Lakeshore - Madison Mallards
- Rox Split Series with Larks, Barth Becomes All-Time Hits Leader - St. Cloud Rox
- Regular Season Home Finale Ends with Clutch Hitting - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- MoonDogs Drop Finale vs. Huskies to Fall Victim of Sweep at Home - Mankato MoonDogs
- A True Flock Farewell - Bismarck Larks
- Rafters Outduel Booyah, Sweep Series - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Booyah Drop Close Contest - Green Bay Rockers
- Bombers Drop Final Game against Kokomo and Split the Series - Battle Creek Bombers
- Mallards Go for Sweep against Chinooks in Mequon - Madison Mallards
- Booyah Look to Rebound at Witter Field - Green Bay Rockers
- Mankato MoonDogs Playoff Tickets on Sale Online Now - Mankato MoonDogs
- Huskies Power their Way to Victory - Duluth Huskies
- Middaugh Shuts Down Woodchucks Wednesday - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Fall in Fondy - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rafters Demolish Booyah, Win Season Series - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mankato MoonDogs Stories
- MoonDogs Named NWL Organization of the Year
- MoonDogs 20th Season Concludes In Great Plains West Sub-Divisional
- Rox Shutout MoonDogs at ISG Field to Open 2021 Postseason
- MoonDogs Fall Hosting Honkers in Regular Season Finale
- Pender Deals in Final Outing, MoonDogs Upend Honkers 6-4 at ISG Field