Monsters Score Four Unanswered Goals in 4-2 Win over Griffins
CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Monsters beat the Grand Rapids Griffins 4-2 on Saturday night at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. With the win, the Monsters are now 8-5-1-0 and are currently in second place in the AHL's Central Division standings.
The Griffins recorded the only two goals of the first period from Riley Barber at 10:37 on the power play and Mathias Brome at 19:17 leaving the Monsters fighting a 2-0 defecit after 20 minutes. Cleveland made quick work to regain the lead in the middle frame beginning with a power-play tally from Carson Meyer at 4:22 with assists from Tyler Sikura and Adam Helewka. The Monsters tied the game after Sikura tipped in a power-play goal at 7:41 off feeds from Helewka and Gavin Bayreuther. Kole Sherwood notched Cleveland's third unanswered marker at 12:36 with helpers from Ole Bjorgvik-Holm and Luke Moncada bringing the score to 3-2 heading into the final period. Sherwood continued the offensive hot streak into the third period with his second goal at 4:44 assisted by Adam Clendening and Josh Dunne securing the Monsters 4-2 win.
Cleveland's Daniil Tarasov made 27 saves for the victory in his North American professional debut while Grand Rapids' Pat Nagle stopped 23 shots in defeat.
The Monsters host the Grand Rapids Griffins again on Friday, April 9, with a 7:00 p.m. puck drop at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. Follow the games with full coverage on FOX Sports 1350AM 'The Gambler', AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Stay up to date on all Monsters news with the Monsters Mobile App presented by University Hospitals available to download at the Apple Store or Google Play Store. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
1st 2nd 3rd OT SO Final
CLE 0 3 1 - - 4
GR 2 0 0 - - 2
Shots PP PK PIM
CLE 27 2/5 5/6 44 min / 11 inf
GR 29 1/6 3/5 22 min / 8 inf
Goaltender Outcome Saves GA Record
CLE Tarasov W 27 2 1-0-0
GR Nagle L 23 4 4-4-0
Cleveland Record: 8-5-1-0, 2nd Central Division
Grand Rapids Record: 8-6-2-0, 3rd Central Division
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2021
- Stars End Homestand with 5-2 Loss - Texas Stars
- Wild Take Third Straight from Stars in 5-2 Win - Iowa Wild
- Marlies Fall to Senators - Toronto Marlies
- Wolves Earn Sixth Win in a Row - Chicago Wolves
- Foerster Ties Game Late Then Scores Shootout Winner - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penalties Cost Griffins in 4-2 Loss at Cleveland - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Crunch Fall to Amerks, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks End Skid with Bounce-Back Win over Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Monsters Score Four Unanswered Goals in 4-2 Win over Griffins - Cleveland Monsters
- Avalanche Signs Ranta - Colorado Eagles
- Dallas Stars Recall Goaltender Colton Point - Texas Stars
- McMichael Clutch Again, Bears Best Devils 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Devils Fall to Bears Late, 4-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, April 3rd - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Devils at Bears, 1 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Hogs Game Day: IceHogs and Wolves Rumble in Hoffman Estates Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- HSK Captures Fourth Straight Win, Defeats Tucson 3-1 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Game #21 Henderson at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- "El Lazo de Tucson" Falls to Henderson - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Sign Brett Gallant, Adam Helewka, Cole Clayton to AHL Deals
- Monsters Celebrate Fifth Anniversary of Calder Cup Championship
- AHL Board of Governors Approves Plan for Schedule Unification
- Monsters Late Fight Not Enough in 4-1 Loss to Griffins
- Monsters Pick up 6-4 Win over Griffins in Home Finale