Crunch Fall to Amerks, 5-3
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- The Syracuse Crunch had their five-game winning streak snapped with a 5-3 loss to the Rochester Americans tonight at the Upstate Medical University Arena.
The loss moves the Crunch to 8-6-1-0 on the season and 3-3-1-0 in the 12-game season series with Amerks.
Crunch goaltender Spencer Martin turned aside 22-of-27 shots between the pipes for the Crunch. Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen earned the win with 27 saves in net for the Amerks. Syracuse was unable to convert on their one power play opportunity, while Rochester went 3-for-4.
The Crunch were first on the board just 1:40 into the game when Henry Bowlby drove to the net and shoveled a backhander that bounced off an Amerks defender and in. The Amerks then evened the score at 6:47 off a long left point shot from Arttu Ruotsalainen.
Rochester continued scoring and took the lead off back-to-back power-play goals from Brett Murray just 1:05 apart. His first came during a 5-on-3 advantage when he finished off a quick passing play from a hard angle along the goal line. His second was a back door redirection off a pass from Ruotsalainen.
Syracuse pulled back within one at the 10:59 mark. Mitchell Stephens centered the puck to Boris Katchouk in the slot who turned and sent it home to extend his five-game goal scoring streak.
The teams exchanged goals a final time to close out the first period, 4-3. At 14:07, Murray's right circle shot went off the post and back into the slot for Griffin Luce to clean up. Four minutes later, Alex Barre-Boulet found the back of the net from between the circles during a 3-on-2 rush.
With 4:35 remaining in the game, Rochester added another power-play tally. Jack Quinn skated in down the right side, cut in front of the net and beat Martin with a backhander to secure the win.
The Crunch are back in action when they travel to Rochester for another game against the Amerks on Wednesday.
Ticket packages for the 2021-22 season are on sale now and can be purchased by calling the office at 315-473-4444. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Grigori Denisenko is on a five-game points streak (4g, 2a)...Boris Katchouk is on a five-game goal scoring streak.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2021
- Stars End Homestand with 5-2 Loss - Texas Stars
- Wild Take Third Straight from Stars in 5-2 Win - Iowa Wild
- Marlies Fall to Senators - Toronto Marlies
- Wolves Earn Sixth Win in a Row - Chicago Wolves
- Foerster Ties Game Late Then Scores Shootout Winner - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penalties Cost Griffins in 4-2 Loss at Cleveland - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Crunch Fall to Amerks, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks End Skid with Bounce-Back Win over Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Monsters Score Four Unanswered Goals in 4-2 Win over Griffins - Cleveland Monsters
- Avalanche Signs Ranta - Colorado Eagles
- Dallas Stars Recall Goaltender Colton Point - Texas Stars
- McMichael Clutch Again, Bears Best Devils 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Devils Fall to Bears Late, 4-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, April 3rd - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Devils at Bears, 1 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Hogs Game Day: IceHogs and Wolves Rumble in Hoffman Estates Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- HSK Captures Fourth Straight Win, Defeats Tucson 3-1 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Game #21 Henderson at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- "El Lazo de Tucson" Falls to Henderson - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.