Avalanche Signs Ranta
DENVER - The Colorado Avalanche Hockey Club announced today that the team has signed forward Sampo Ranta to a three-year, entry-level contract. He will report to the American Hockey League's Colorado Eagles.
Ranta, 20, completed his junior season at the University of Minnesota, finishing with a career-best 31 points in 31 games while also establishing career highs in goals (19) and assists (12). His 19 tallies ranked second in the nation while he led the Gophers in goals, points and finished second in power-play goals (3). Ranta's +19 rating and four game-winning markers were both tied for second on the team. The Naantali, Finland, native was named to the All-Big Ten First Team and was a Big Ten All-Tournament Team Selection and finished with 67 points (37g/30a) and a +27 rating in 102 career NCAA games with Minnesota.
Selected by the Avalanche in the third round (78th overall) of the 2018 NHL Draft, Ranta played two seasons with the Sioux City Musketeers, totaling 46 points (29g, 17a) in 83 career USHL contests. He was tied for second on the team in points (37) and ranked third in goals (23) during his final campaign in 2017-18.
The 6-foot-2, 198-pound left wing was part of the Finland's gold-medal entry at the 2018 IIHF Under-18 World Championship, notching two points (1g/1a) in seven games. He helped his country to a fourth-place finish at the 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship, recording two points (0g/2a) in seven tournament contests.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2021
- Stars End Homestand with 5-2 Loss - Texas Stars
- Wild Take Third Straight from Stars in 5-2 Win - Iowa Wild
- Marlies Fall to Senators - Toronto Marlies
- Wolves Earn Sixth Win in a Row - Chicago Wolves
- Foerster Ties Game Late Then Scores Shootout Winner - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penalties Cost Griffins in 4-2 Loss at Cleveland - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Crunch Fall to Amerks, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks End Skid with Bounce-Back Win over Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Monsters Score Four Unanswered Goals in 4-2 Win over Griffins - Cleveland Monsters
- Avalanche Signs Ranta - Colorado Eagles
- Dallas Stars Recall Goaltender Colton Point - Texas Stars
- McMichael Clutch Again, Bears Best Devils 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Devils Fall to Bears Late, 4-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, April 3rd - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Devils at Bears, 1 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Hogs Game Day: IceHogs and Wolves Rumble in Hoffman Estates Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- HSK Captures Fourth Straight Win, Defeats Tucson 3-1 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Game #21 Henderson at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- "El Lazo de Tucson" Falls to Henderson - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Forward Callahan Burke Returns to Eagles
- Colorado Inks Forward Benjamin Tardif to Two-Year Deal
- American Hockey League Athletic Trainers Selected as Winners of Yanick Dupre Memorial Award
- Eagles to Play Home Opener October 22nd at 100% Capacity
- AHL Board of Governors Approves Plan for Schedule Unification