Monsters 5-2 Victory over Stars Closes Homestand on High Note
CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Monsters beat the the Texas Stars 5-2 on Sunday evening at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. With the win, the Monsters are now 6-5-1-0 and are currently in fourth place in the AHL's Central Division standings.
The Monsters held complete control of the opening frame beginning with Tyler Sikura's tally at 2:38 assisted by Gavin Bayreuther and Adam Helewka and a marker from Nathan Gerbe just over two minutes later at 5:58 off feeds from Bayreuther and Sikura. Evan Polei scored a goal at 11:08 with helpers from Andrew Peeke and Bayreuther to bring the Monsters 3-0 lead into the first intermission. The Stars responded scoring the only two goals of the second period from Nick Baptiste at 3:47 and Adam Mascherin at 8:43 to bring the score to 3-2 after forty minutes. Cleveland spaced out the score during the third period after Polei notched his second tally of the night at 7:46 with assists from Carson Meyer and Thomas Schemitsch and Sikura recorded an empty-net tally at 17:01 off a feed from Bayreuther to secure the 5-2 win. With his fourth helper, Bayreuther left his mark in Monsters Franchise History entering a six-way tie for most assists in a single game.
Cleveland's Brad Thiessen made 24 saves in victory while Texas' Tomas Sholl stopped 31 shots in defeat.
The Monsters travel to faceoff against the Rochester Americans on Wednesday, March 31, with a 6:05 p.m. puck drop at Blue Cross Arena. Follow the games with full coverage on FOX Sports 1350AM 'The Gambler', AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Stay up to date on all Monsters news with the Monsters Mobile App presented by University Hospitals available to download at the Apple Store or Google Play Store. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
1st 2nd 3rd OT SO Final
CLE 3 0 2 - - 5
TEX 0 2 0 - - 2
Shots PP PK PIM
CLE 36 0/2 3/3 10 min / 5 inf
TEX 26 0/3 2/2 8 min / 4 inf
Goaltender Outcome Saves GA Record
CLE Thiessen W 24 2 3-4-1
TEX Sholl L 31 4 4-3-1
Cleveland Record: 6-5-1-0, 4th Central Division
Texas Record: 9-6-2-0, 3rd Central Division
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 28, 2021
- Moose Falter to Laval 5-3 - Manitoba Moose
- Rees, Wolves Earn Rollercoaster Win in Rockford - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Drop Final Game in Cleveland - Texas Stars
- Monsters 5-2 Victory over Stars Closes Homestand on High Note - Cleveland Monsters
- Capitals Re-Sign Hershey Netminder Zach Fucale - Hershey Bears
- Moulson Scores Winner on Power Play Late, Bears Beat Penguins 3-1 - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Reassign Liam Foudy from Monsters to Taxi Squad - Cleveland Monsters
- Harvey-Pinard's Consistency One of the Keys to Rocket Success - Laval Rocket
- Monsters Sign Forward Tristan Mullin to Amateur Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Penguins at Bears, 1 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Roadrunners Battle Against Penalties And Turnovers, Fall To Gulls 2-1 In Orange County - Tucson Roadrunners
- Eriksson Ek, Gulls Stop Tucson, 2-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Henderson Uses Four-Goal Second Period to Defeat Eagles, 4-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Henderson Ends Home Stand with 4-3 Victory - Henderson Silver Knights
- Villalta Leads Reign over Bakersfield - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Offense Shines in 4-0 Shutout of Senators
- Monsters Unveil New Monsters Eye-View Podcast
- Monsters Recall Goaltender Jet Greaves from ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Gabriel Carlsson from Monsters
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Yegor Chinakhov from Monsters