Millsap, Wolves Outlast Bighorns in Overtime Thriller
Reno, Nev. - Tied 106-106 with the clock winding down, Elijah Millsap hit the go-ahead three-pointer with 0.5 seconds remaining in overtime to give the Iowa Wolves (20-24) a 109-106 victory over the Reno Bighorns (25-20) Wednesday night at the Reno Events Center.
Millsap finished with a team-high 27 points while shooting 6-of-12 from the floor and a perfect 13-of-13 from the charity stripe. Millsap scored all five of Iowa's points in overtime.
Iowa got off to a quick start in its second meeting in three days against the Bighorns, building up an 11-point lead to end the first quarter. Reno came charging back however, outscoring the Wolves 85-74 in the final three quarters of play to bring the game down to the wire in the waning moments.
Tied 104-104 with under 30.0 seconds remaining in regulation, both the Wolves and Bighorns turned the ball over on consecutive plays to send the game to overtime.
Amile Jefferson tallied his league-leading 32nd double-double of the regular season, finishing with 17 points and 12 rebounds. The former Duke Blue Devil shot a perfect 6-of-6 from the floor in the victory.
Michael Bryson followed up a career-high performance Monday night with 16 points and eight rebounds. Bryson shot an efficient 6-of-8 from the floor and perfect 3-of-3 from long distance.
For the game, Iowa shot above its season averages from the floor (48.7%) three-point line (47.6%) and from the charity stripe (79.3%).
The Wolves turned the ball over a season-high 26 times while managing to defeat a playoff contender on the road.
Aaron Harrison led all scorers with 31 points off the bench for Reno. David Stockton finished with 23 points for the Bighorns running with Harrison and the second unit.
Iowa returns home Friday night to begin its final homestand of the regular season as they take on the Austin Spurs at 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 15, 2018
- Vipers Outlast the Warriors - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Balanced Drive Overcome BayHawks - Grand Rapids Drive
- Red Claws Fall Despite 26 from Bennett - Maine Red Claws
- Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire Forward Kevin Young - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Delaware 87ers Acquire Devondrick Walker - Delaware Blue Coats
- Wisconsin Herd Acquires Alex Marzette - Wisconsin Herd
- Texas Legends Celebrate Operation Homefront Night, Built by the Home Depot - Texas Legends
- Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire Kevin Young off Waivers - Santa Cruz Warriors
- San Antonio Assigns Derrick White to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- MidAmerican Energy Company and Iowa Wolves Team up for Annual Go Green Game - Iowa Wolves
- Austin Spurs to Host Fan Appreciation and Go Red Night in Final Game of the Regular Season - Austin Spurs
- Walt Lemon Jr. Returns to Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Alan Williams Assigned to Northern Arizona Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Pelicans Sign Larry Drew II to 10-Day Contract - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Bighorns Fall at the Buzzer in Overtime - Reno Bighorns
- Millsap, Wolves Outlast Bighorns in Overtime Thriller - Iowa Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wolves Stories
- Iowa Wolves, Minnesota Timberwolves and Lynx Tip off Pack the Vote Initiative
- Wolves Statement on NBA G League's Decision to Cancel Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Wolves Issue Statement on NBA G League's Decision to Suspend Game Play
- Late Heroics Lift Wolves over Vipers
- Spellman's Triple-Double Not Enough in Home Loss to Warriors