Red Claws Fall Despite 26 from Bennett
Portland, ME - The Maine Red Claws, presented by Unum, erased a 17-point deficit, and made 22 three-pointers, but fell to the Wisconsin Herd, 118-111 Thursday at the Portland Expo.
Maine (17-30) was led by Anthony Bennett with 26 points and 9 rebounds. Daniel Dixon added 24 points on 9-16 shooting, and L.J. Peak added 21 points. Devin Williams recorded his 20th double-double with 13 points and 16 rebounds, and Trey Davis recorded a double-double with 12 points and 12 assists.
Wisconsin (21-25) was led by Xavier Munford with 41 points on 16-25 shooting.
The Herd started the game scoring 6 quick points, with Joel Bolomby's jumper making it 6-2 Wisconsin. Peak ended the run with a three for the Claws. The teams would go back and forth, with Munford dropping in a trey to make it 14-12 Herd. The hot-shooting Herd would go on a 9-0 run to extend their lead to double-digits, with Munford leading the way. Dixon tried to keep Maine in the game from downtown, but Wisconsin made 7 of 9 three's in the quarter, taking a 41-28 lead after 1. Munford scored 16 points including 4-4 from deep.
Barham opened the 2nd by throwing in a wild shot, while Bennett buried a three to cut it to 7. Peak buried back-to-back three's to make it 48-40 Herd. That's when Bennett caught absolute fire. Bennett scored 13 straight points for the Red Claws, giving Maine a 53-52 lead. Bennett scored 19 points in the 2nd quarter, and Maine made 10 three's, taking a 67-65 halftime lead. Maine shot 46.9% (15-32) from downtown in the first half.
Peak opened the 3rd with a three-pointer, his 5th of the game. Davis knocked in a three to put Maine up 5. The Herd came back - Munford scored a hoop and the foul to tie the game at 82. Bolomboy knocked in a three to put the Herd up 2. Wisconsin out-scored Maine 28-22 to take a 93-89 lead after 3.
In the 4th, Munford scored on a runner to put Wisconsin up 6. The Herd lead ballooned from there, but the Red Claws weren't done. Bennett's slam made it 101-95. Dixon's corner three made it 108-104. Munford continued to pour it in for the Herd. Munford continued his incredible night, putting the game away with two huge buckets. Maine shot 39% (41-105) from the floor, 40% (22-55), and 7-11 from the free throw line. Wisconsin shot 54.2% (45-83) from the field, 52% (13-25) from downtown and 15-18 from the charity stripe.
The Red Claws return to action on Sunday when they host Lakeland. The game is sold out. The Expo season finale is next Thursday, March 22. Tickets are on sale by calling 207-210-6655 or visiting MaineRedClaws.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 15, 2018
- Vipers Outlast the Warriors - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Balanced Drive Overcome BayHawks - Grand Rapids Drive
- Red Claws Fall Despite 26 from Bennett - Maine Red Claws
- Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire Forward Kevin Young - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Delaware 87ers Acquire Devondrick Walker - Delaware Blue Coats
- Wisconsin Herd Acquires Alex Marzette - Wisconsin Herd
- Texas Legends Celebrate Operation Homefront Night, Built by the Home Depot - Texas Legends
- Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire Kevin Young off Waivers - Santa Cruz Warriors
- San Antonio Assigns Derrick White to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- MidAmerican Energy Company and Iowa Wolves Team up for Annual Go Green Game - Iowa Wolves
- Austin Spurs to Host Fan Appreciation and Go Red Night in Final Game of the Regular Season - Austin Spurs
- Walt Lemon Jr. Returns to Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Alan Williams Assigned to Northern Arizona Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Pelicans Sign Larry Drew II to 10-Day Contract - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Bighorns Fall at the Buzzer in Overtime - Reno Bighorns
- Millsap, Wolves Outlast Bighorns in Overtime Thriller - Iowa Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Maine Red Claws Stories
- Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters Receive All-NBA G League Honors
- Tremont Waters Named NBA G League Rookie of the Year
- Statement from the Maine Red Claws on Cancellation of 2019-20 NBA G League Season
- Red Claws, TD Bank Launch "Fueling the Frontline" Today
- Statement from the Maine Red Claws