Meireles Scores Twice in Rabbits' 5-3 Win over Rays
GREENVILLE, S.C. - Greg Meireles scored twice and Gordi Myer tallied his first professional goal to help Greenville to a 5-3 road win over the South Carolina Stingrays on Wednesday night.
Only 20 seconds into the contest, the Swamp Rabbits scored first courtesy of Gordi Myer's first pro goal. Myer fired a wrist shot from the right-point and beat Rays goaltender Alex Dubeau to provide Greenville a 1-0 lead.
The Stingrays responded at the 3:30 mark from Zach Malatesta's fourth goal of the season. Malatesta corralled the puck and fired past Rabbits netminder John Lethemon.
Late in second period, Swamp Rabbits defenseman Alec Rauhauser regained his club's advantage at the 19:32 mark. Rauhauser received the puck at the left-point and danced through the Stingrays defense and went forehand-backhand past Dubeau. Greenville carried a 2-1 lead into the dressing room after 40 minutes.
In the third period, Greenville added an insurance marker courtesy of a Greg Meireles on the power play at 7:51. Meireles buried the rebound in the low-slot of a Matt Bradley bid for his eighth goal of the campaign.
South Carolina answered with a power play goal of their own from Justin Florek at 10:09. Florek redirected a Cole Ully feed at the net-front past the glove of Lethemon to cut the score to 3-2.
The Swamp Rabbits regained their two-goal cushion with Max Zimmer scoring his 11th goal of the season at 14:47. Anthony Rinaldi created a footrace for Zimmer on a breakaway and beat Dubeau backhand-forehand.
Meireles hit twine for the second time at 16:55. On a delayed penalty, Meireles cut into the zone 1-on-3 and beat Dubeau with a shot along his blocker side.
Jordan Klimek scored for South Carolina at 19:45 to round out the 5-3 final.
The Greenville Swamp Rabbits will continue their three games in four nights stretch on Friday night at Bon Secours Wellness Arena. The Rabbits will rematch the South Carolina Stingrays in the Upstate on Friday and Saturday. Ticket information is available online at swamprabbits.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 1, 2021
- Solar Bears squander two-goal lead in 3-2 loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers Have Sly Finish on April Fool's Day - Wheeling Nailers
- Blades Outduel Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - April 1 - ECHL
- Stingrays, Dorchester Paws Partner for Nickelodeon Night April 24 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Prosvetov Makes NHL Debut - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Preview: April 1, 2021 Utah at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Set for Thursday Encounter - Florida Everblades
- Valleau Named AMI Graphics ECHL Plus Performer for March - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Day Preview: Utah at Allen, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Orlando's Valleau Is AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Icemen Add Goaltender Logan Drackett - Jacksonville IceMen
- The Icemen Igloo Is Coming: Team Unveils Plans for Renovated Ice Facility - Jacksonville IceMen
- Meireles Scores Twice in Rabbits' 5-3 Win over Rays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Stingrays Take Game 1 in Eastern Conference Finals
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Stingrays, 7:05 PM Eastern Conference Finals (Game 1)
- Rabbits Announce Eastern Conference Finals Schedule, Reduced Social Distancing Guidelines at Home Games
- Rabbits Advance to Eastern Conference Finals
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs. Fuel, 7:05 PM Eastern Conference Semifinals