Mechanics clinch first playoff berth
4/14: FLAGS DEFEAT MECHANICS 5-1 AT MCMORRAN ARENA
The Flags came out and scored the first goal and never looked back as they held a 1-0 lead heading into the first intermission. In the second period the Flags scored four unanswered goals before the Mechanics could even blink. Late in the third period Tom Kotsopoulos put the Mechanics on the board and broke Scott Hay's bid for the shutout. Assisting on the goal was Greg Bullock and Kris Vernarsky. Rod Branch his 71st appearance and made 17 saves before being replaced by backup Bill Ruggiero. Ruggiero made 8 saves on 8 shots in the relief appearance.
- 4/15: MECHAINCS KNOCK OFF THE FLAGS AND STORM INTO PLAYOFFS
In the second game of a home and home the Mechanics came out flying. Hitting, crisp passing and solid goaltending were the themes of the night as the Mechanics scored 6 goals against the Flags one. Tom Kotsopoulos scored his third goal in as many games and started the barrage of goals. Peter Szabo, Brent Gretzky, Mel Angelstad, Kris Vernarsky and Greg Bullock all scored for the Mechanics. Rod Branch made his 72nd appearance and looked solid making 29 saves to earn his 38th win of the season.
- WITH THE WIN THE MECHANICS CLINCHED THE EIGHTH AND FINAL PLAYOFF BERTH!
- KYLE KOS RECORDED HIS 50TH UHL POINT WITH AN ASSIST
- ADAM EDINGER SET A NEW CAREER HIGH IN POINTS WITH HIS TWO ASSISTS, HE FINISHED THE SEASON WITH 77 POINTS.
Upcoming games: Mechanics take on the Wings in the first round of the UHL playoffs!
Friday, April 21st: MECHANICS TRAVEL TO K-ZOO FOR GAME ONE OF THE FIRST ROUND SERIES!
Through the season series the Wings hold a 7-2-1 advantage. Two of Kalamazoos six losses at home have come by the hands of the Mechanics. FACE-OFF: 7:30 PM
Saturday, April 22nd: GAME TWO IN KALAMAZOO!
The Mechanics take on the Wings for the second of three straight games.
FACE-OFF: 7:30 PM
Edinger, Szabo, Gretzky Line Has A Name
The great line of Adam Edinger, Peter Szabo and Brent Gretzky achieved the name on March 3rd. "The Assembly Line" was submitted along with hundreds of others but won out on our website vote by an astonishing margin. The other three final entries were, "Pit Crew," "Engine Line" and "Motor City Drive Train." The winning name was submitted by David Bolam. He wins an autographed jersey by the line and dinner at bd's Mongolian barbeque.
Assembly Line Factor: Updated through Week 26
When Adam Edinger scores a goal the Mechanics are 27-8-3, and 32-9-3 when he nets a point.
When Brent Gretzky nets a point the Mechanics are 34-9-4.
When Peter Szabo nets a point the Mechanics are 33-13-2.
Player of the Week Nominees
Player of the Week
The Mechanics nominate, Greg Bullock as the Sher-Wood player of the week for the 26th week of the season. This week Bullock tallied five points (1 goal, 4 assists) and was a
+1 rating in the two games played.
Goaltender of the Week
The Mechanics nominate Rod Branch as the Southern Sports Supply Goaltender of the week for the 26th week of the season. This week Branch was 1-1-0 making 46 saves on
52 shots while compiling a .885 SV% and a 3.93 GAA.
Bally's Three Star Standings
Check out the Bally's Three Star Standings throughout the season at www.motorcitymechanics.com. Throughout the season we will be updating the standings as a number one star selection earns 3 points, a number two selection earns 2 points and a number one selection earns 1 point.
CN Railroad Community Corner
The Mechanics have partnered with CN Railroad to award individuals and or groups in the community that have strived to make this area a better place to live, by inviting them to enjoy an exciting night at a Mechanics hockey game. If you know someone or a group of individuals that have done an outstanding task and are worthy of praise, contact Matthew Olinik at: 586-294-8062 x-100.
Season Tickets and Playoff Tickets On Sale!
Tickets for the 2006-07 season are on sale and all it takes to hold your current seat or new seat is $50! Fans have until May 31st to get the discounted rate on the seats. Don't wait get your seat now and be a part of the action next season!!
Playoff tickets are on sale now too for Games A, B and C. Of course those are Games 3,4 and 6 of the 7 game series.
Final Motor City Statistical Leaders
Games Played (GP): Mike Burgoyne-76
Goals (G): Adam Edinger-51
Assists (A): Brent Gretzky-65
Points (PTS): Brent Gretzky--80
Penalty Minutes (PIM): Tom Kotsopoulos--224
+/-: Adam Edinger--+11
Shots on Goal (SOG): Adam Edinger-224
Shooting Percentage (SPCT): Adam Edinger--.228%
Game Winning Goals (GWG): Kris Vernarsky, Adam Edinger-4
Power Play Goals (PPG): Adam Edinger-19
Short Handed Goals (SHG): Kris Vernarsky--4
Shootout Percentage (SHPCT): Chris Gignac-5 for 7, .714%
Wins (W): Road Branch-38
Goals Against Average (GAA): Bill Ruggiero-2.83
Save Percentage (SV%): Bill Ruggiero--.913%
Shutouts (SHO): Rod Branch--3
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from April 17, 2006
- Kalamazoo Wings capture Tarry Cup - IHL 2
- Komet's Kurk UHL Goaltender of the Week - Fort Wayne Komets
- Kalamazoo Wings week in review - Kalamazoo Wings
- Tarry Cup champions set destination Colonial Cup Friday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Hogs announce first round playoff schedule - Rockford IceHogs
- Komets face Hogs in first round - Fort Wayne Komets
- Richmond's Oliveira and Fort Wayne's Kurk earn weekly honors - IHL 2
- Mallards Headed to Danbury to Begin Playoffs - Quad City Mallards
- Mechanics clinch first playoff berth - Motor City Mechanics
- Afr Announces New General Manager For Team and Arena - Elmira Jackals
- Generals announce press conference - Flint Generals
- Fury announce first round playoff schedule - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- First Round Playoff Dates are set - Motor City Mechanics
- Mallards and Trashers Set First Round Schedule - Quad City Mallards
- Trashers begin playoffs Friday at home - Danbury Trashers
- Trashers host Quad City Friday and Saturday - Danbury Trashers
- Rockford closes out regular season taking three of four points - Rockford IceHogs
- Frostbite Open Playoffs on Friday - Adirondack Frostbite
- Adirondack Frostbite Weekly - Adirondack Frostbite
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.