Trashers host Quad City Friday and Saturday
DANBURY, CT-The Danbury Trashers, proud members of the United Hockey League (UHL), finished their regular season with a pair of wins over Roanoke and will host the Quad City Mallards on Friday and Saturday in their first two games of the Colonial Cup Playoffs.
The Eastern Division Champions locked up the number two seed in the opening round with Saturday's 7-5 win at Roanoke and concluded the regular season with a 48-17-11 record for 105 points.
Friday and Saturday's games will start at 7:30pm at the Danbury Ice Arena and the first 500 fans at each game will receive a Danbury Trashers t-shirt courtesy of the Danbury Trashers.
The Trashers also established a UHL record as they finished with a 24-7-7 away record and the fewest road regulation losses in league history. Other franchise records were also tied or broken as Drew Omicioli finished with 48 goals, fourth overall in the UHL and a single-season Danbury record. He also tied the franchise single-season point record with 87, giving him the same total as last season's leader, Bruce Richardson.
Several rookie records were set as forward Shawn Collymore set a franchise plus-minus mark with a plus-44, which was also fourth overall in the UHL. Forward J.M. Daoust also set the team rookie record for points (65) goals (30) and assists (35). Defenseman Donny Grover also led all UHL rookie defensemen in points with 41.
TRASHERS WEEK IN REVIEW
TRASHERS REBOUND FROM 3-0 DEFICIT AND DEFEAT ROANOKE 7-5 TO CONCLUDE REGULAR SEASON
April 15, 2006
ROANOKE, VA-Drew and Mike Omicioli each netted a pair of goals as the Trashers rebounded from a 3-0 deficit with six unanswered goals as the Trashers finished the regular season with a 7-5 win over Roanoke on Saturday night.
Roanoke's Mike Wiggins, who finished with a hat trick, opened the scoring at 8:37 of the first, followed by a pair of goals from Matt Elich at 10:44 and 11:53. Mike Omicioli's first goal was on the power play at the 17:03 mark to close the gap to 3-1 by the end of the first period.
Danbury erupted in the second as Drew Omicioli scored a pair of goals at 3:39 and 10:21 of the second, with Frederic Belanger netting his 3rd in as many games in between at the 6:00 mark. Mike Omicioli scored again at the 13:10 mark, followed by Sergei Durdin's 4th of the season at the 14:32 mark to give the Trashers a 6-3 lead after two.
In the final period, Wiggins scored twice, while Jeff Daw knocked in his 17th of the seasn for the Trashers, who finished the regular season with a 48-17-11 record. The Trashers 24-7-7 away record also set a UHL mark for fewest road regulation losses in a season.
Jayme Platt stopped 33 of 38 shots while Glenn Ridler saved 57 of 64 in a losing cause for the Vipers, who end their season at 17-53-6.
BEAUREGARD NETS TWO AS THE TRASHERS TOP ROANOKE 5-3
April 14, 2006
ROANOKE, VA-David Beauregard scored a pair of first period goals against his former team as Danbury jumped out to a 3-0 lead and defeated the Roanoke Valley Vipers 5-3 on Friday night at the Roanoke Civic Center.
Donny Grover's 10th of the season opened the scoring at the 3:57 mark of the opening period from Mario Larocque and Mike Omicioli. David Beauregard scored the next two goals at 5:54 and 17:48 before Mark Scott scored a power play goal for the Vipers at 18:53.
The Vipers closed the gap in the second period as Jan Jas scored from John Osborne at 9:22 before Shawn Collymore tallied his 23rd of the season at the 13:44 mark. For the second time in the period Roanoke closed the gap as Sean Starke scored a power play goal at 16:17 as the Trashers led 4-3 after two periods.
Fred Belanger netted his 7th of the season to extend Danbury's lead to 5-3 at the 12:06 mark from Jamie Thompson and Grover. Sly Daigle stopped 33 of 36 while Glenn Ridler saved 44 of 49 in the loss for the Vipers.
DANBURY TRASHERS OPENING ROUND PLAYOFF SCHEDULE
Friday April 21st vs. Quad City at DANBURY ICE ARENA 7:30pm
Saturday April 22nd vs. Quad City at DANBURY ICE ARENA 7:30pm
Wednesday April 26th vs. Quad City at THE MARK OF THE QUAD CITIES 8:00pm
Friday April 28th vs. Quad City at THE MARK OF THE QUAD CITIES 8:00pm
Saturday April 29th vs. Quad City at THE MARK OF THE QUAD CITIES 8:00pm (if necessary)
Monday May 1st vs. Quad City at DANBURY ICE ARENA 7:00pm (if necessary)
Tuesday May 2nd vs. Quad City at DANBURY ICE ARENA 7:00pm (if necessary)
To Purchase Tickets:
In Person: Danbury Ice Arena (Open Mon-Sat. from 10a-5p and from 10a-end of
game on game nights)
Playoff Ticket Prices: $20 all seats
Phone: 866-565-7825, ext. 116
Season tickets for the 2006-07 campaign are also currently on sale, priced at a special discount of $494 ($13/game reserved) and $570 ($15/game premium) when purchased prior to August 31st. Purchasing season tickets now also allows fans to buy the entire run of 2006 Colonial Cup Playoff games (12 total). Any portion of non-played playoff games will be used towards their balance on next year's season tickets.
All Danbury Trashers games are broadcast live on AM 940/1510 ESPN Radio with the "Voice of the Trashers" Phil Giubileo. Fans can also listen online at DanburyTrashers.com and purchase the live broadcast video feed for $6.00 courtesy of B2 Communications. The Trashers are Danbury's first and only professional sports franchise. For more information, visit DanburyTrashers.com.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from April 17, 2006
- Kalamazoo Wings capture Tarry Cup - IHL 2
- Komet's Kurk UHL Goaltender of the Week - Fort Wayne Komets
- Kalamazoo Wings week in review - Kalamazoo Wings
- Tarry Cup champions set destination Colonial Cup Friday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Hogs announce first round playoff schedule - Rockford IceHogs
- Komets face Hogs in first round - Fort Wayne Komets
- Richmond's Oliveira and Fort Wayne's Kurk earn weekly honors - IHL 2
- Mallards Headed to Danbury to Begin Playoffs - Quad City Mallards
- Mechanics clinch first playoff berth - Motor City Mechanics
- Afr Announces New General Manager For Team and Arena - Elmira Jackals
- Generals announce press conference - Flint Generals
- Fury announce first round playoff schedule - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- First Round Playoff Dates are set - Motor City Mechanics
- Mallards and Trashers Set First Round Schedule - Quad City Mallards
- Trashers begin playoffs Friday at home - Danbury Trashers
- Trashers host Quad City Friday and Saturday - Danbury Trashers
- Rockford closes out regular season taking three of four points - Rockford IceHogs
- Frostbite Open Playoffs on Friday - Adirondack Frostbite
- Adirondack Frostbite Weekly - Adirondack Frostbite
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Danbury Trashers Stories
- Final week to get Trashers merchandise, team shop to close
- Trashers add four players in dispersal draft
- K-Zoo defeats Trashers 2-1 to take 3-1 Colonial Cup finals lead
- Karlander's two-goal night lifts Kalamazoo to 2-1 series lead
- Trashers split first two games of Colonial Cup Finals