Richmond's Oliveira and Fort Wayne's Kurk earn weekly honors
April 17, 2006 - International Hockey League 2 (IHL 2) News Release
LAKE ST. LOUIS, MO--- The United Hockey League (UHL) announced Monday that Richmond RiverDogs center Mike Oliveira has been named Sher-Wood UHL Player of the Week and Fort Wayne Komets goaltender Kevin Kurk has been named Southern Sports Supply UHL Goaltender of the Week for the period ending Sunday, April 16th, 2006.
Oliveira completed the week with six points (4g, 2a) and a plus-4 rating in three games played. He dished out two assists in Wednesday's 5-3 win vs. Roanoke Valley. On Friday, he netted two goals, including one shorthanded, in the 3-2 loss to Quad City. He rounded out the regular season by scoring two goals in the 9-3 win vs. Missouri on Saturday. The two goals on Saturday were his 60th and 61st of the season. That total led the league and is the highest total by an individual player in the UHL since the 1999-2000 season. The 27-year-old native of West Lorne, Ontario played all 76 games for Richmond this season. He finshed the regular season ranked third in the UHL with 105 points (61g, 44a) and ranked first with ten shorthanded goals.
Other players nominated for the Sher-Wood UHL Player of the Week include: Adirondack left wing Hugo Belanger, Danbury center Shawn Collymore, Flint center Terry Marchant, Fort Wayne center Kelly Miller, Kalamazoo defenseman Daniel Carriere, Missouri left wing Jim Duhart, Motor City center Greg Bullock, Muskegon left wing David Wrigley, Quad City right wing Frank Littlejohn, Roanoke left wing Mike Wiggins, and Rockford right wing Greg Barber.
Kurk finished the week with a 2-0-0 record, a 2.50 goals against average (GAA), and a .902 save percentage (SPCT). He stopped 23 shots in the 5-2 win vs. Muskegon on Friday. The next evening, he made 23 saves in the 4-3 win vs. the Tarry Cup Champion Kalamazoo Wings. The 25-year-old native of Orchard Park, New York is 7-0-2 in his last nine starts. He finished the regular season with a 9-4-2 record, a 2.50 GAA, a .910 SPCT, and one shutout.
Other goaltenders nominated for the Southern Sports Supply UHL Goaltender of the Week include: Adirondack's Kris Tebbs, Danbury's Sylvain Daigle, Elmira's Tyson Gajda, Flint's Eric Marvin, Kalamazoo's Joel Martin, Missouri's Kevin Reiter, Motor City's Rod Branch, Muskegon's Clayton Pool, Quad City's Jason Tapp, Richmond's Mike D'Alessandro, Roanoke's Glenn Ridler, and Rockford's Brenden Cuthbert.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from April 17, 2006
- Kalamazoo Wings capture Tarry Cup - IHL 2
- Komet's Kurk UHL Goaltender of the Week - Fort Wayne Komets
- Kalamazoo Wings week in review - Kalamazoo Wings
- Tarry Cup champions set destination Colonial Cup Friday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Hogs announce first round playoff schedule - Rockford IceHogs
- Komets face Hogs in first round - Fort Wayne Komets
- Richmond's Oliveira and Fort Wayne's Kurk earn weekly honors - IHL 2
- Mallards Headed to Danbury to Begin Playoffs - Quad City Mallards
- Mechanics clinch first playoff berth - Motor City Mechanics
- Afr Announces New General Manager For Team and Arena - Elmira Jackals
- Generals announce press conference - Flint Generals
- Fury announce first round playoff schedule - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- First Round Playoff Dates are set - Motor City Mechanics
- Mallards and Trashers Set First Round Schedule - Quad City Mallards
- Trashers begin playoffs Friday at home - Danbury Trashers
- Trashers host Quad City Friday and Saturday - Danbury Trashers
- Rockford closes out regular season taking three of four points - Rockford IceHogs
- Frostbite Open Playoffs on Friday - Adirondack Frostbite
- Adirondack Frostbite Weekly - Adirondack Frostbite
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.