McIntyre Ties Team-Win Record in 2-1 P-Bruins Victory
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins defeated the Charlotte Checkers Friday night 2-1 as Zane McIntyre tied the franchise record for victories in net. The P-Bruins got goals from Jordan Szwarz and Peter Cehlarik while McIntyre made his 12th start of the season between the pipes.
Both sides did not see many great chances in the opening period, but Charlotte managed to tally the only goal the period with 4:03 left on the clock. Greg McKegg battled for a puck in the right wing corner and sent it out to Andrew Poturalski at the right dot. With room to fire, Poturalski beat McIntyre over the blocker with a snipe of a wrister to make it 1-0 Checkers into the intermission.
Anders Bjork, who was assigned to Providence yesterday, started a play early in the second period that helped Providence tie the game. Using his blazing speed, he entered the zone and passed the puck to Ryan Fitzgerald at the left dot. Fitzgerald then fired a perfect centering feed to Szwarz in the right slot, who buried his fourth goal of the season just 1:27 into the second. The period ended with the P-Bruins and Checkers tied 15-15 in shots and 1-1 on the scoreboard.
The score remained tied until just 4:33 was left on the clock when the P-Bruins grabbed the lead on a power play. Mark McNeill fought for the puck in the left wing corner and chipped it to Cameron Hughes who was close by. He found Cehlarik alone between the hashes, and he fired a missile through Scott Darling for his third goal of the season. Charlotte pulled their goalie with three minutes left to play, but the desperation attempt failed and the P-Bruins won by the final of 2-1.
McIntyre stopped 22-23 shots while Darling stopped 21-23. With the win McIntyre tied the franchise's all-time regular season win record, matching John Grahame's mark of 67 victories in net. Providence was 1-3 on the power play and 3-3 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins open up their December schedule tomorrow night when they travel to Bridgeport for a 7pm face-off with the Sound Tigers.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 30, 2018
- Dominance on Special Teams Pushes Griffins' Point Streak to Six Games - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Shutout Penguins to Close out November - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Winning Streak Snapped at Four - Milwaukee Admirals
- Power Play Outburst Leads Griffins Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Hot Goalie Hands Penguins 1-0 Loss - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Clip Crunch in Overtime, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Senators Open Homestand with Win over Utica - Belleville Senators
- McIntyre Ties Team-Win Record in 2-1 P-Bruins Victory - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Drop Tight Road Tilt in Providence - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Fall to Monsters, 4-3, in OT - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs & Salvation Army Team up for Red Kettle Night, Battle of Bells - Rockford IceHogs
- Comets Come up Short in Belleville - Utica Comets
- Kossila Joins Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Coyotes Recall Kempe; Assign Miska to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Ottawa Signs Defenceman Falk to Two-Way Deal - Belleville Senators
- Rangers Recall Vinni Lettieri from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Roadrunners Introduce Street Hockey P.E. Curriculum to Start in over 20 Tucson Schools - Tucson Roadrunners
- Soshnikov Assigned to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Host Rampage on Winning Wednesday Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sunday's Teddy Bear Toss in Hershey, PA Looks to Break World Record - Hershey Bears
- Stockton Kicks off Six-Game Home Stand Tonight for Harry Potter Night - Stockton Heat
- Zykov Claimed on Waivers by Oilers - Charlotte Checkers
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Mahura - San Diego Gulls
- Moose Sign Jack Glover - Manitoba Moose
- Flames Recall Andrew Mangiapane from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Sabres Recall Tennyson from Rochester - Rochester Americans
- T-Birds Trek to Hershey for Saturday Matchup with Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Comets - Belleville Senators
- Hitchcock Returned on Loan to Worcester - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Sign Defender Jake Linhart to Tryout Agreement - Hershey Bears
- Devils Cool Down Comets with 4-2 Win - Binghamton Devils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.