Mauricio a Triple Shy of Cycle, Fireflies Fall in Rome
ROME, GA - Columbia shortstop Ronny Mauricio finished a triply shy of the cycle in Rome on Saturday. The 18-year-old led off the game with a double, then singled in the third. Mauricio added to his night with his first round-tripper of the year in the fifth, a two-run shot to right. Mauricio would single again in the seventh, and fly out in the ninth. The 4-5 night marked Mauricio's third four-hit game of 2019.
Mauricio impressed at the plate, but the Fireflies (15-27) fell to Rome (21-21), 9-5. Columbia trailed, 5-1, entering the top of the fifth. They then tied the game with a pair of two-run homers from Mauricio and third baseman Mark Vientos. The blast by Vientos was his second home run in as many games.
Rome would answer the four-run inning with a solo home run from outfielder Trey Harris in the bottom half of the frame. The Braves added a three-run inning in the sixth to put the game out of reach.
Jose Butto (L, 0-5) got the start for Columbia. After allowing five runs in the first two innings, the righty settled in. Butto pitched a scoreless third and fourth, but allowed another run in the fifth before exiting the game.
The Braves sent righty Alan Rangel (W 3-2)to the mound to start the game. Rangel looked good through the first four innings, but the Fireflies caught up to him in the fifth with a four-run inning. Rome reliever Victor Vodnik (S, 1) picked up the save, holding Columbia scoreless over the final four frames.
Bottom 1: Ricardo Rodriguez hits a sac fly to right, Justin Dean scores. ROM 1, COL 0
Top 2: Brian Sharp flies out to center, Gerson Molina scores on a throwing error from Justin Dean. ROM 1, COL 1
Bottom 2: Dean hits a three-run homer to left, Derian Cruz, Jose Bermudez and Dean all score...Greg Cullen triples, Rodriguez scores. ROM 5, COL 1
Top 5: Ronny Mauricio homers to right. Mauricio and Wagner Lagrange score...Mark Vientos homers to left, Vientos and Hansel Moreno score. ROM 5, COL 5
Bottom 5: Trey Harris hits a solo shot to left. ROM 6, COL 5
Bottom 6: Jose Bermudez hits a sac fly, Griffin Benson scores...Justin Dean doubles, Derian Cruz scores...Ricardo Rodriguez singles to right, Dean scores. ROM 9, COL 5
The Fireflies continue the series against Rome on Sunday. First pitch is set for 2:00 ET. You can tune in to the action at FireFliesLivestream.com or on the MiLB.TV app.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Edgeworth, Cresto and Montes All Homer in T's Victory - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Pitching Unravels in 9-4 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Vespi Dazzles in Opener; 'Birds Split K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Sold out Crowd Packs Whitaker Bank Ballpark as Legends Fall in Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Late Error Ignites Augusta Rally as Dogs Fall in Extras - Charleston RiverDogs
- Mauricio a Triple Shy of Cycle, Fireflies Fall in Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Jackets Win 11-Inning Marathon 6-4 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Drive Fall to West Virginia, 4-1, on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Florido Shines, Anchia Homers in 4-1 Win - West Virginia Power
- Dean and Harris slug Braves to victory - Rome Braves
- Case Dismisses Claws Again as Hoppers Win 4-0 on Saturday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 18 at Rome (Game 42) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (May 18) - West Virginia Power
- Three-Run Fifth Vaults Suns over Crawdads - Hagerstown Suns
- Braves Bats Keep Sizzling in 11-3 Romp over Fireflies - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.