Drive Fall to West Virginia, 4-1, on Saturday
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The West Virginia Power defeated the Greenville Drive, 4-1, on Saturday night at Fluor Field to take a 2-0 series lead.
The Power opened a 3-0 lead with a run in the third and two more in the fourth. Nick Rodriguez hit an RBI double to center in the third to make it 1-0. Jake Anchia then hit a two-run home run to left, his seventh homer of the year, to give the visiting team a 3-0 lead.
The Drive got its lone run in the sixth. Brandon Howlett hit a one-out, solo home run to left to put the home team on the board and make it 3-1 game.
West Virginia added a run in the ninth on an RBI single by Joseph Rosa to give the Power the final score of 4-1.
Power starter Deivy Florido (2-0) earned the win, throwing 5.0 scoreless innings and allowing three hits with six strikeouts against one walk. Drive starter Angel Padron (1-4) suffered the loss, allowing three runs on four hits with three strikeouts against a walk in 4.0 innings pitched. West Virginia reliever Josias De Los Santos earned the save, throwing 4.0 innings in relief and allowing a run on three hits with four strikeouts against one walk.
Howlett led the Drive offense on the night, going 2-for-4 with the homer, a run and an RBI. Kervin Suarez and Kole Cottam both doubled in the contest. Kevin Biondic made his Drive debut with 5.0 innings pitched and allowed one run on four hits with two strikeouts and two walks.
The series continues on Sunday with a 7:05 p.m. first pitch. The Drive will send right-hander Alex Scherff to mound, facing off against West Virginia right-hander Clay Chandler.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Edgeworth, Cresto and Montes All Homer in T's Victory - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Pitching Unravels in 9-4 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Vespi Dazzles in Opener; 'Birds Split K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Sold out Crowd Packs Whitaker Bank Ballpark as Legends Fall in Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Late Error Ignites Augusta Rally as Dogs Fall in Extras - Charleston RiverDogs
- Mauricio a Triple Shy of Cycle, Fireflies Fall in Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Jackets Win 11-Inning Marathon 6-4 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Drive Fall to West Virginia, 4-1, on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Florido Shines, Anchia Homers in 4-1 Win - West Virginia Power
- Dean and Harris slug Braves to victory - Rome Braves
- Case Dismisses Claws Again as Hoppers Win 4-0 on Saturday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 18 at Rome (Game 42) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (May 18) - West Virginia Power
- Three-Run Fifth Vaults Suns over Crawdads - Hagerstown Suns
- Braves Bats Keep Sizzling in 11-3 Romp over Fireflies - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.