Florido Shines, Anchia Homers in 4-1 Win
GREENVILLE, S.C. - Deivy Florido hurled five scoreless innings and Jake Anchia crushed his seventh homer of the season as West Virginia downed Greenville, 4-1, Saturday night at Fluor Field at the West End.
The Power (22-19) struck first in the third inning, as Nick Rodriguez stroked a double that scored Joseph Rosa all the way from first to give West Virginia an early 1-0 lead.
After throwing out a potential base stealer in the bottom of the third, Anchia obliterated a baseball off Angel Padron (1-4) over the Green Monster in left field to thrust the Power ahead 3-0. Anchia's bomb ties him with Jarred Kelenic for the team lead in homers with seven.
Florido (2-0) did not allow a run and struck out six, a season-high, over his five scoreless innings of work. Greenville (15-26) got a run back in the sixth when Josias De Los Santos (S,1) surrendered a solo shot to Brandon Howlett, the Red Sox' 15th-best prospect per MLB.com.
West Virginia tallied another run in the ninth on a Rosa RBI single to take a 4-1 lead. De Los Santos buckled down and worked the remaining four innings in relief, conceding just the one run and three hits while fanning four batters to collect his first career Minor League save.
The Power continues their four-game set with the Drive Sunday afternoon at Fluor Field at the West End, with first pitch set for 3:05 p.m. RHP Clay Chandler (4-1, 1.65 ERA) heads to the hill for West Virginia, while Greenville counters with RHP Alex Scherff (0-3, 3.90 ERA). Pregame coverage begins at 2:45 p.m. on The Jock 1300 and 1340 AM, as well as online at wvpower.com and via the TuneIn Radio App and MiLB First Pitch App.
The Power will be back at home from May 21-28 for eight games, their longest homestand of 2019. West Virginia welcomes in the Greensboro Grasshoppers and the Lexington Legends, with the highlight of the homestand coming Saturday, May 25, on Redneck Night with an Austin Meadows bobblehead giveaway for the first 1,000 fans in the ballpark. For tickets and more information, call us at 304-344-2287 or visit wvpower.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Edgeworth, Cresto and Montes All Homer in T's Victory - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Pitching Unravels in 9-4 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Vespi Dazzles in Opener; 'Birds Split K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Sold out Crowd Packs Whitaker Bank Ballpark as Legends Fall in Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Late Error Ignites Augusta Rally as Dogs Fall in Extras - Charleston RiverDogs
- Mauricio a Triple Shy of Cycle, Fireflies Fall in Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Jackets Win 11-Inning Marathon 6-4 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Drive Fall to West Virginia, 4-1, on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Florido Shines, Anchia Homers in 4-1 Win - West Virginia Power
- Dean and Harris slug Braves to victory - Rome Braves
- Case Dismisses Claws Again as Hoppers Win 4-0 on Saturday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 18 at Rome (Game 42) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (May 18) - West Virginia Power
- Three-Run Fifth Vaults Suns over Crawdads - Hagerstown Suns
- Braves Bats Keep Sizzling in 11-3 Romp over Fireflies - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.