Suns Pitching Unravels in 9-4 Loss
HAGERSTOWN, MD - Tomas Alastre could not get through the second inning following a 1 hour and forty-three minute rain delay in the Suns 9-4 loss to the Crawdads at Municipal Stadium Saturday night.
After working a one-two-three first frame, Alastre (L, 3-3), faced seven hitters in the second, allowing all of them to reach. Four runs would score before Alastre gave way to Ryan Tapani, who worked out of the inning without allowing a hit. Following the second, the Crawdads (27-14) led 5-1 and never looked back.
The Suns (18-23) came out of the gates hot, with their first two baserunners reaching safely. Cody Wilson was hit by a pitch prior to Justin Connell grounding a infield single to third to set up the Suns. Omar Meregildo doubled to plate Wilson and put Hagerstown in front.
After that, Tim Brennan (W, 3-2) was stellar, finishing the evening spinning 6.1 innings, allowing just five hits and the single earned run. The Suns added three more runs off Nick Starr, all in the ninth with two outs.
The offense started rolling with walks from Nic Perkins and Meregildo. After a mound visit, Kyle Marinconz lined a base hit up the middle to plate Meregildo. Then Trey Vickers repeated the feat to load the bases for Ricardo Mendez to score Perkins and Marinconz and complete the scoring for the night.
Tapani allowed just one base runner out of the first 10 batters he faced, but struggled in his fourth inning. Curtis Terry led off the inning with a double to left. Next, Sherten Apostel roped a triple over Rhinesmith's head to score Terry. Matt Whatley drove Apostel home, singling up the middle before Melvin Novoa capped-off the inning lacing a base knock to left to score Whatley.
Novoa's night finished rocking a solo shot off Trey Turner to start the eighth. Turner finished with two innings of work to end the game.
The final Suns reliever to pitch was Jared Brasher , who had his best outing of 2019. The righty spun his way through two hitless innings while fanning a pair of Crawdads in the Suns losing effort.
The Suns continue their four-game set with the Crawdads Sunday at 2:05 p.m. at Municipal Stadium. RHP Joan Adon (2-1, 3.12 ERA) toes the rubber for the Suns and Hickory sends RHP Yerry Rodriguez (4-1, 1.74 ERA) to the bump.
Historic Municipal Stadium plays host to the Suns again May 17-24 as Hagerstown brings Hickory and Kannapolis to town for eight games. There are plenty of reasons to head out to the ballpark, including Sunday Funday tomorrow, Bark in the Park May 22 and Thirsty Thursday May 23. For tickets or more information call 301-791-6266 or visit hagerstownsuns.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Edgeworth, Cresto and Montes All Homer in T's Victory - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Pitching Unravels in 9-4 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Vespi Dazzles in Opener; 'Birds Split K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Sold out Crowd Packs Whitaker Bank Ballpark as Legends Fall in Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Late Error Ignites Augusta Rally as Dogs Fall in Extras - Charleston RiverDogs
- Mauricio a Triple Shy of Cycle, Fireflies Fall in Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Jackets Win 11-Inning Marathon 6-4 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Drive Fall to West Virginia, 4-1, on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Florido Shines, Anchia Homers in 4-1 Win - West Virginia Power
- Dean and Harris slug Braves to victory - Rome Braves
- Case Dismisses Claws Again as Hoppers Win 4-0 on Saturday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 18 at Rome (Game 42) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (May 18) - West Virginia Power
- Three-Run Fifth Vaults Suns over Crawdads - Hagerstown Suns
- Braves Bats Keep Sizzling in 11-3 Romp over Fireflies - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hagerstown Suns Stories
- Ninth-Inning Rally Sinks Suns
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes
- Suns Bats Steam Crawdads
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes
- Upshaw Caps off Four-Hit Night with Walk-Off Single