Sold out Crowd Packs Whitaker Bank Ballpark as Legends Fall in Game Two
WHITAKER BANK BALLPARK (Lexington, KY) - The Lexington Legends fell in game two to the Asheville Tourists, 9-5 in front of a sold out crowd of 7,131 fans. The Legends record now sits at 20-21 while they maintain second place in the Southern Division of the South Atlantic League.
Danny Edgeworth hit the first homer of the game for the Tourists in the top of the second inning and Asheville led, 1-0. Kyle Datres then reached on a fielding error by Legends shortstop, Jeison Guzman. Johnny Cresto blasted a two-run home run to left field, extending the Tourists' lead 3-0.
In the top of the fourth, Cresto and Cade Harris reached on back-to-back singles. Coco Montes then smashed a three-run home run to left field, and Asheville led 6-0.
In the bottom of the inning, Eric Cole reached on an error by the third baseman then advanced to second on a wild pitch by Nick Bush. An RBI single by Reed Rohlman brought Cole home to score and the Legends were on the board, 6-1.
Jeison Guzman led off the bottom of the fifth inning with a single to right field. Nate Eaton then crushed an RBI triple to right centerfield and the Legends continued to cut into Asheville's lead 6-2.
The Tourists struck again in the top of the sixth inning. Kyle Datres led off with a double to left field then was brought home by an RBI double by Will Golsan.
In the bottom of the sixth inning, Freddy Fermin led off with a double to the left field corner then was able to score on an RBI double by Juan Carlos Negret. Lexington continued to trail, 7-3.
In the bottom of the seventh inning, Rubendy Jaquez started off the inning with a double to left field. Eaton then recorded his second base knock of the game, plating Jaquez and the Legends pulled within four runs. Eaton advanced on a wild pitch and then came around on an RBI groundout by Fermin. After the seventh, the Legends trailed 7-5.
Asheville continued scoring in the top of the eighth inning. Datres led off with a double to right centerfield then was brought home by an RBI double by Golsan.
The Tourists plated their final run in the top of the ninth inning. Terrin Vavra drew a one out walk then moved to third after Willie MacIver and Edgeworth loaded the bases when they also drew walks. Montano popped up a sacrifice fly to left field and Asheville held on to the 9-5 victory.
Nick Bush was awarded the victory pitching 5.1 innings allowing three runs (two earned) on four hits while striking out six. Charlie Neuweiler was given the loss tossing 4.0 innings allowing six runs (four earned) on seven hits while walking two and striking out three.
The Legends and Tourists meet for game two tomorrow, May 19 at 2:05pm. Lexington will send RHP Jon Heasley (3-1, 2.15 ERA) to face Asheville's RHP Shelby Lackey (1-4, 4.85 ERA).
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Edgeworth, Cresto and Montes All Homer in T's Victory - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Pitching Unravels in 9-4 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Vespi Dazzles in Opener; 'Birds Split K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Sold out Crowd Packs Whitaker Bank Ballpark as Legends Fall in Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Late Error Ignites Augusta Rally as Dogs Fall in Extras - Charleston RiverDogs
- Mauricio a Triple Shy of Cycle, Fireflies Fall in Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Jackets Win 11-Inning Marathon 6-4 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Drive Fall to West Virginia, 4-1, on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Florido Shines, Anchia Homers in 4-1 Win - West Virginia Power
- Dean and Harris slug Braves to victory - Rome Braves
- Case Dismisses Claws Again as Hoppers Win 4-0 on Saturday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 18 at Rome (Game 42) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (May 18) - West Virginia Power
- Three-Run Fifth Vaults Suns over Crawdads - Hagerstown Suns
- Braves Bats Keep Sizzling in 11-3 Romp over Fireflies - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.