Case Dismisses Claws Again as Hoppers Win 4-0 on Saturday
GREENSBORO, NC - Brad Case threw seven scoreless innings for the second straight Saturday against the BlueClaws as Greensboro blanked Lakewood 4-0 at First National Bank Field.
Greensboro (26-14) has now taken the first two games of this five-game series and improves to 3-0 against Lakewood (14-26) this season.
Case (6-1) is the first South Atlantic League pitcher to six wins this year and has now thrown 14 scorleless innings against the BlueClaws. He allowed six hits, no walks, and struck out seven on Saturday.
The Grasshoppers opened the scoring the fourth on a SAC fly by Pat Dorrian to bring home Kyle Mottice. Mottice had gone to third base on a single by Mason Martin.
Greensboro's Lolo Sanchez hit an inside-the-park home run in the bottom of the sixth off James McArthur, a line drive that got past a sliding centerfielder Carlos De La Cruz. The home run, Sanchez's fourth of the year, put the Grasshoppers up 3-0.
An RBI double from Raul Siri in the bottom of the seventh inning gave Greensboro a 4-0 lead.
Lakewood starter Kevin Gowdy threw three scoreless innings and did not factor in the decision. He was followed by Mark Potter (0-1), who gave up one run in two innings in his Lakewood debut. James McArthur allowed three runs over three innings to finish the night for Lakewood pitchers.
Jonathan Guzman had two hits in the loss for the BlueClaws.
The teams continue their series on Sunday with a double-header beginning at 2:00 pm. LHP Manuel Silva will start game one and LHP Ethan Lindow will start game two for the BlueClaws.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Edgeworth, Cresto and Montes All Homer in T's Victory - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Pitching Unravels in 9-4 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Vespi Dazzles in Opener; 'Birds Split K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Sold out Crowd Packs Whitaker Bank Ballpark as Legends Fall in Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Late Error Ignites Augusta Rally as Dogs Fall in Extras - Charleston RiverDogs
- Mauricio a Triple Shy of Cycle, Fireflies Fall in Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Jackets Win 11-Inning Marathon 6-4 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Drive Fall to West Virginia, 4-1, on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Florido Shines, Anchia Homers in 4-1 Win - West Virginia Power
- Dean and Harris slug Braves to victory - Rome Braves
- Case Dismisses Claws Again as Hoppers Win 4-0 on Saturday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 18 at Rome (Game 42) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (May 18) - West Virginia Power
- Three-Run Fifth Vaults Suns over Crawdads - Hagerstown Suns
- Braves Bats Keep Sizzling in 11-3 Romp over Fireflies - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.