Jackets Win 11-Inning Marathon 6-4
Charleston, SC: After the series opener on Friday took 10 innings at Joseph P. Riley Jr. Stadium in Charleston, South Carolina, the GreenJackets (21-20) and Charleston RiverDogs (23-19) topped that on Saturday by playing 11-innings for four hours and two minutes. The Jackets end up winning it 6-4 as Charleston leaves 14 men-on-base. They have left 26 men-on-the-base through the first two games of this series.
The GreenJackets offense didn't cool down from the previous night, and came out with a big 1st inning. They scored four runs in the inning off Charleston starter Luis Medina. RBI-singles for Frankie Tostado and Jacob Gonzalez lifted the Jackets in front at 2-0. Andres Angulo capped off the scoring with a two-RBI double, and the GreenJackets batted around to take a 4-0 advantage.
Sean Hjelle made the start for the GreenJackets and he would go 4.2 innings, allowing three runs, while only two were earned. Shane Matheny committed an error in the 3rd inning, at 3rd base, and Charleston scored a run to make it a 4-1 game.
In the 4th inning, Hjelle allowed a run on an infield hit for Charleston to make the score 4-2. An RBI single for Lockridge in the 4th made it 4-3. In the 6th inning it was another RBI for Lockridge which tied the score at four.
JJ Santa Cruz was electric out of the Augusta bullpen. He ends his night going three innings and did not allow a run, as he kept Charleston scoreless in the 10th. He would be the winning pitcher on the evening.
The GreenJackets brought home two runs in the 11th inning. The 1st came home when Jacob Gonzalez singled into centerfield. The 2nd run came to the plate when Frankie Tostado ran home on a wild pitch.
In the home-half of the 10th, Jesus Tona collected a three-up, three-down inning, and the GreenJackets end up winning it 6-4. Tona would get his 6th save of the season.
Player of the Game: J.J. Santa Cruz, 3 IP, 0 ER, 6 K
Santa Cruz worked out of trouble multiple times in the game. He kept the game tied in his three innings of work, and the Jackets were able to reward him with a win after they scored two runs in the 11th.
Tomorrow's Game: 5:05 PM @ Charleston RiverDogs, Joseph P. Riley Jr. Park, Charleston, South Carolina
Pitching Matchup: (CSC) RHP Roansy Contreras (3-2, 5.29 ERA) vs (AUG) RHP Keaton Winn (2-2, 3.69 ERA)
Keaton Winn will take the baseball making just his 3rd start of the season for the GreenJackets. After starting the season as a long reliever, Winn has moved into a starting role, and in his last start, he showed what he is capable of. The 5th round selection in 2018 by the San Francisco Giants went six innings allowing only two runs. The sinker-ball pitcher has been consistent around the strike-zone in every start this season. He has only five walks to 24 strikeouts on the season.
Roansy Contreras is ranked as the #10 overall prospect in the New York Yankees organization according to MLB.com, but the right hander is coming off a start where he finished the day after just 2.1 innings. Against the Hickory Crawdads on May 13th, Contreras allowed seven runs and received his 2nd loss of the season. The 19-year old has been stellar other than his last appearance, as he will make his 8th start of the season tomorrow. Contreras was signed as an International Free Agent by the Yankees in 2016. He is originally from Peralvillo, Dominican Republic.
About the Augusta GreenJackets
SRP Park is the anchor piece of Riverside Village, a live, work, "playball" development which includes apartment living, senior living, retail, restaurants, class "A" office space, and a Crowne Plaza Hotel and Conference Center. To learn more about SRP Park and hosting events and availability, visit www.thesrppark.com.
2019 Augusta GreenJackets season tickets are on sale now. To learn more about the benefits and to get in on the 2019 action, visit www.greenjacketsbaseball.com or call (803) 349-WINS (9467).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Edgeworth, Cresto and Montes All Homer in T's Victory - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Pitching Unravels in 9-4 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Vespi Dazzles in Opener; 'Birds Split K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Sold out Crowd Packs Whitaker Bank Ballpark as Legends Fall in Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Late Error Ignites Augusta Rally as Dogs Fall in Extras - Charleston RiverDogs
- Mauricio a Triple Shy of Cycle, Fireflies Fall in Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Jackets Win 11-Inning Marathon 6-4 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Drive Fall to West Virginia, 4-1, on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Florido Shines, Anchia Homers in 4-1 Win - West Virginia Power
- Dean and Harris slug Braves to victory - Rome Braves
- Case Dismisses Claws Again as Hoppers Win 4-0 on Saturday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 18 at Rome (Game 42) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (May 18) - West Virginia Power
- Three-Run Fifth Vaults Suns over Crawdads - Hagerstown Suns
- Braves Bats Keep Sizzling in 11-3 Romp over Fireflies - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Augusta GreenJackets Stories
- GreenJackets Awarded the Charles K. Murphy Patriot Award
- : Jackets Season Ends in Lexington
- Playoff Notes: Game 2, SALSCS at Lexington Legends, 7:05 p.m., Whitaker Bank Ballpark
- Lexington Takes Game #1 with 2-1 Victory
- Playoff Notes: Game 1, SALSCS vs Lexington Legends, 7:05 p.m., SRP Park