Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC
ATLANTA - Atlanta United returns to action Sunday night when it hosts Orlando City SC at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. The match is scheduled to kick-off at 2:30 p.m. EST and will be nationally televised on FOX. For all statistics and media information, please visit our new Media Resources page and game notes.
Atlanta has never lost to Orlando, owning a 4-0-2 all-time record against the Lions. Atlanta won all three matchups in 2018 including a 4-0 win in June in the one match played at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Josef Martinez scored his MLS single-season record-breaking 28th goal in the last meeting, a 2-1 win at Orlando City Stadium, and the Venezuelan striker leads Atlanta with six goals versus Orlando. The two teams are currently separated by two points in the Eastern Conference.
Atlanta defeated Toronto FC 2-0 May 8 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium to earn its third consecutive victory and fourth win in the club's last five matches, including four clean sheets. Tito Villalba scored his first goal of the season in the 17th minute after Josef Martinez found him in front of goal with a pin-point cross. Julian Gressel added the second goal in the 67th minute, again assisted by Martinez, hitting a left-footed shot past Alex Bono for his second goal of the season. It was the first multi-assist game of Martinez's MLS career. Atlanta also held an opponent without a shot on target for just the second time in club history.
Orlando is coming off a 2-0 loss versus Toronto at Orlando City SC on May 4. Jonathan Osorio and Jay Chapman scored for Toronto as Orlando dropped to 2-3-1 at home this season. New signing Nani leads the team with five goals and four assists.
Sunday, May 12 | Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA |2:30 p.m. (EST)
Atlanta United (4-3-2, 14 points) vs. Orlando City SC (3-4-3, 12 points)
English TV | FOX
Spanish Radio | La Mejor 1600 AM
English Radio | 92-9 The Game
1:30 p.m.: AT&T Countdown to Kickoff (FB Live/Periscope)
2 p.m.: The Pre-Game show (92-9 The Game)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 10, 2019
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Houston Dynamo - May 11, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Los Angeles Football Club at MAPFRE Stadium Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. San Jose Earthquakes - New England Revolution
- Impact Visits FC Cincinnati Saturday Afternoon - Montreal Impact
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- #DirkDayFCD & More 5 Things You Need to Know About #FCDvRBNY - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Faces Rocky Mountain Rival Colorado Rapids Saturday in Denver - Real Salt Lake
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Aboubacar Keita Receives International Call-Up for FIFA Under-20 Men's World Cup - Columbus Crew SC
- Preview: Orlando City Begin Two-Game Road Stint at Atlanta - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Heads to Ohio to Face Columbus Crew SC on Saturday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- Houston Dynamo Loan GK Michael Nelson to RGV FC for Tonight's Match in Phoenix - Houston Dynamo
- Revolution Forward Justin Rennicks Named to United States Roster for FIFA U-20 World Cup - New England Revolution
- Minnesota United FC vs. Chicago Fire Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake GK David Ochoa Called to the U.S. for the 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup - Real Salt Lake
- Match Preview: New York Heads West to Face FC Dallas - New York Red Bulls
- BMO Soccer Celebration Summer Tour Schedule Unveiled - Montreal Impact
- Union's Mark McKenzie, Matt Real Called up by United States Under-20 National Team Ahead of 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup - Philadelphia Union
- Edwin Cerrillo, Paxton Pomykal, Brandon Servania Called into United States U-20 National Team for 2019 U-20 World Cup - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Advances to Eastern Conference Semifinals, Defeats New England Revolution 1-0
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution
- George Bello Named to USA Roster for 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Brazil
- Atlanta United Reaches Contract Extension with Miles Robinson
- Time Change: Round 1 Match vs. New England Now 1 p.m.