Preview: Orlando City Begin Two-Game Road Stint at Atlanta
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC (3-4-3, 12 points) begins a two-game road trip on Sunday when they face reigning MLS Cup Champions Atlanta United FC (4-3-2, 14 points). Kickoff is set for 2:30 p.m. ET at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
The match will be nationally televised on FOX and broadcasted on FM 96.9 The Game in English and La Nueva 990 AM in Spanish.
"Obviously going to the Champions (Atlanta United) in their home in front of 60 or 70 thousand people, it's going to be a massive game," Head Coach James O'Connor said. "These are the types of games that our players should want to play in."
City enters Sunday's match coming off a 2-0 defeat from Toronto FC this past Saturday. Both goals came in the second half for The Reds with Jonathan Osorio and Jay Chapman finding the back of the net in the 65th and 77th minutes respectively.
Nani remains atop the Lions with five goals and four assists thus far this season. Goalkeeper Brian Rowe now sits at third in MLS with 37 saves in 2019 after registering seven in last week's contest.
Atlanta also enters Sunday's match fresh off a contest with Toronto, after defeating the Reds 2-0 in a midweek contest on Wednesday. Héctor Villalba opened the scoring in the 17th minute with Julian Gressel doubling the lead in the 67th to secure the victory.
Ezequiel Barco and Josef Martinez lead The Five Stripes with four goals apiece this season. Barco will be unavailable for Sunday's match as he has begun preparations for the FIFA U-20 World Cup with the Argentinian National Team.
Sunday's contest will be the first of two between the clubs this season, with Atlanta scheduled to visit Orlando City Stadium on August 23rd. Both matches between Atlanta and Orlando in 2019 will be televised on national broadcasts.
Following the match, the Lions face a quick turnaround when they visit Seattle for a matchup against the Sounders on Wednesday, May 15.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 10, 2019
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Houston Dynamo - May 11, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Los Angeles Football Club at MAPFRE Stadium Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. San Jose Earthquakes - New England Revolution
- Impact Visits FC Cincinnati Saturday Afternoon - Montreal Impact
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- #DirkDayFCD & More 5 Things You Need to Know About #FCDvRBNY - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Faces Rocky Mountain Rival Colorado Rapids Saturday in Denver - Real Salt Lake
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Aboubacar Keita Receives International Call-Up for FIFA Under-20 Men's World Cup - Columbus Crew SC
- Preview: Orlando City Begin Two-Game Road Stint at Atlanta - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Heads to Ohio to Face Columbus Crew SC on Saturday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- Houston Dynamo Loan GK Michael Nelson to RGV FC for Tonight's Match in Phoenix - Houston Dynamo
- Revolution Forward Justin Rennicks Named to United States Roster for FIFA U-20 World Cup - New England Revolution
- Minnesota United FC vs. Chicago Fire Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake GK David Ochoa Called to the U.S. for the 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup - Real Salt Lake
- Match Preview: New York Heads West to Face FC Dallas - New York Red Bulls
- BMO Soccer Celebration Summer Tour Schedule Unveiled - Montreal Impact
- Union's Mark McKenzie, Matt Real Called up by United States Under-20 National Team Ahead of 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup - Philadelphia Union
- Edwin Cerrillo, Paxton Pomykal, Brandon Servania Called into United States U-20 National Team for 2019 U-20 World Cup - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.