Columbus Crew SC Defender Aboubacar Keita Receives International Call-Up for FIFA Under-20 Men's World Cup
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew SC today announced that defender Aboubacar Keita has received an international call-up from the United States Under-20 Men's National Team. Keita is one of 21 players named to the U.S. roster and is set to join the American squad ahead of the FIFA U-20 World Cup in Poland, which runs from May 23 - June 15.
"We are proud that Aboubacar is among the 21 players named to represent the United States on the world's stage at the Under-20 FIFA World Cup roster," said Crew SC President Tim Bezbatchenko. "The fact that one of our Crew SC Academy graduates will feature at the U-20 World Cup in Poland is a testament to the work put in by Aboubacar and of course our Academy and First Team staff over the years. Today is certainly a proud moment for the Black & Gold family."
The U.S. is in Group B, alongside Nigeria, Qatar and Ukraine. The Stars and Stripes are set to face Ukraine on Friday, May 4 at Bielsko-Biala Stadium in Bielsko-Biala, Poland, to begin the tournament. The Americans then play against Nigeria on Monday, May 2, in Bielsko-Biala Stadium, before facing Qatar on Thursday, May 30 at Tychy Stadium, Poland, to finish out the Group Stage. For the FIFA U-20 World Cup, the top two teams of each group and the four best third-placed teams are set to advance to the Round of 16.
Keita, 19, is a graduate of the Crew SC Academy, where he played from 2016-2018, featuring for the Under-17/18 and U-18/19 squads. In all, the 19-year-old made 43 appearances (42 starts) for Crew SC Academy, scoring one goal. During his time with the Crew SC Academy, Keita played under Crew SC First Team Assistant Coach Ben Cross. Before he joined Crew SC Academy, Keita played for Santos FC in Columbus.
The defender was signed by the Crew as a Homegrown Player on January 22, 2019. Keita has played on loan with the Richmond Kickers of the USL League One, making two appearances (one start). Prior to joining the Crew SC First Team, Keita started every match for the University of Virginia in 2018, making 17 appearances (all starts) and scoring one goal. At the international level, Keita has also previously featured for the U.S. U-19 side.
Up next for the Crew is a home contest against Los Angeles Football Club at MAPFRE Stadium tomorrow, Saturday, May 11 [7:30 p.m. ET / FOX Sports Ohio, FOX Sports GO (Stream) / 97.1 The Fan & 971TheFan.com (English); ColumbusCrewSC.com (Spanish)].
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 10, 2019
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Houston Dynamo - May 11, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Los Angeles Football Club at MAPFRE Stadium Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. San Jose Earthquakes - New England Revolution
- Impact Visits FC Cincinnati Saturday Afternoon - Montreal Impact
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- #DirkDayFCD & More 5 Things You Need to Know About #FCDvRBNY - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Faces Rocky Mountain Rival Colorado Rapids Saturday in Denver - Real Salt Lake
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Aboubacar Keita Receives International Call-Up for FIFA Under-20 Men's World Cup - Columbus Crew SC
- Preview: Orlando City Begin Two-Game Road Stint at Atlanta - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Heads to Ohio to Face Columbus Crew SC on Saturday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- Houston Dynamo Loan GK Michael Nelson to RGV FC for Tonight's Match in Phoenix - Houston Dynamo
- Revolution Forward Justin Rennicks Named to United States Roster for FIFA U-20 World Cup - New England Revolution
- Minnesota United FC vs. Chicago Fire Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake GK David Ochoa Called to the U.S. for the 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup - Real Salt Lake
- Match Preview: New York Heads West to Face FC Dallas - New York Red Bulls
- BMO Soccer Celebration Summer Tour Schedule Unveiled - Montreal Impact
- Union's Mark McKenzie, Matt Real Called up by United States Under-20 National Team Ahead of 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup - Philadelphia Union
- Edwin Cerrillo, Paxton Pomykal, Brandon Servania Called into United States U-20 National Team for 2019 U-20 World Cup - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC Announces 2019 Team Award Winners
- U.S. Soccer Will Add Additional Seats for USA vs. Sweden in Columbus, Ohio on November 7
- Columbus Crew SC's Luis Diaz and Eloy Room Receive International Call-Ups
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Toronto FC on Sunday
- Columbus Crew SC's Wil Trapp and Gyasi Zardes Receive International Call-Ups