Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls
ATLANTA - Atlanta United will face New York Red Bulls Saturday night at Orlando's ESPN Wide World of Sports complex in the club's opening match of the MLS is Back Tournament. The match will be nationally televised on FOX and TUDN at 8 p.m. EST and transmitted on Sports Radio 92.9 The Game.
Atlanta is in Group E and after facing Red Bulls will play FC Cincinnati on Thursday, July 16 (9 a.m. EST, ESPN) and Columbus Crew SC on Tuesday, July 21 (8 p.m. EST, TUDN).
Atlanta returns to play four months to the day of its last competitive match on March 11 against Club América at Estadio Azteca in Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League play.
Atlanta's last league match was a 2-1 win against FC Cincinnati at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on March 7 in its MLS home opener, with goals from Emerson Hyndman and Ezequiel Barco.
Each of Hyndman's three goals for Atlanta in MLS play have been game-winning goals: Week 1 against Nashville SC, Week 2 against FC Cincinnati and against San Jose in 2019 (3-1).
Barco scored his 10th career MLS goal against FC Cincinnati. Atlanta holds a 7-1-1 record when the Argentine scores.
Atlanta has a 1-5-2 all-time record against Red Bulls (including playoffs), and a 0-4-2 record in regular season matches. The previous match ended in a 3-3 draw at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on July 7, 2019.
Red Bulls enters the match with a 1-0-1 record this season after starting the season with a 3-2 win over Group E opponent FC Cincinnati and then playing Real Salt Lake to a 1-1 draw.
Atlanta ranks fourth in MLS this season in passing accuracy (83.48) and has attempted the most passes (1102).
Through two league matches, Pity Martinez and Barco rank second and third in fouls drawn with nine and eight, respectively. Since Atlanta joined the league in 2017, Barco has drawn more fouls per 90 minutes (3.59) than all current MLS players with a minimum of 50 games played.
Saturday, July 11 | ESPN Wide World of Sports, Orlando, FL|8 p.m. (ET)
Atlanta United (2-0-0, 6 points) vs. New York Red Bulls (1-0-1, 4 points)
TV | FOX, TUDN
English Radio | 92.9 The Game
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 10, 2020
- Ambrose, Argudo, Carranza and Chapman Make Inter Miami Debuts - Inter Miami CF
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Faces FC Cincinnati Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Sporting Kansas City Player Tests Positive for COVID-19 - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Sign New Contract for Rightback Romain Metanire - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Announces Additional Kit Sponsors for MLS Is Back Tournament, 2020 Season - Atlanta United FC
- Florida Is Purple: Lions Take Their First Florida Derby - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City SC Forward Tesho Akindele Agrees to Contract Extension - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Sporting KC Back in Action Sunday vs. Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- LAFC Announces Multi-Year Partnership with Truly Hard Seltzer - Los Angeles FC
- Whitecaps FC Announce Sleeve Sponsors for MLS Is Back Tournament - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: July 12, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Return to Action Tonight vs. Seattle - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Sign Forward/Midfielder Daniel Rios to Homegrown Player Contract - Houston Dynamo
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls - Atlanta United FC
- New York City FC Academy Director Liam Manning to Become Head Coach of Lommel SK - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.