Sporting Kansas City Player Tests Positive for COVID-19
Sporting Kansas City today confirmed that a Sporting Kansas City player received a pair of consecutive positive test results for COVID-19. The positive test results follow mandatory testing two consecutive days upon arrival and a total of five testing days since the club travelled to Orlando on July 5. All other individuals in the Club delegation have returned negative test results. Sporting Kansas City's Club delegation will now test daily for a 14-day period. Sporting Kansas City will play Minnesota United FC at 7:00 p.m. CT on Sunday, July 12 in the MLS is Back Tournament.
Upon receipt of the initial positive result, the League's protocol required the individual to be relocated to an isolation area after evaluation by a telehealth physician. Isolation requires relocation to a room in a designated area of the hotel and that relocation occurred under a strict and detailed protocol to minimize the risk of transmission. The individual will remain in isolation and will be monitored and tested daily.
Contact tracing is also mandatory in case of a positive COVID-19 test. This process identifies close contacts: individuals who spent at least 10 minutes within six feet of a person who has tested positive. Those close contacts will also be tested and they can continue to train or work as long as they wear a face mask at all times when not competing, remain asymptomatic and continue to test negative.
Prior to traveling to Florida, all essential members of the Club delegation underwent numerous Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) tests. Players also underwent a baseline serology (antibody) test. PCR tests detect an active COVID-19 infection. Serology tests detect the presence of antibodies in response to a COVID-19 infection.
Additional information on Major League Soccer's health protocol regarding testing within the MLS Is Back Tournament is available at mlssoccer.com/mls-is-back-tournament/health-and-safety-protocols.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 10, 2020
- Ambrose, Argudo, Carranza and Chapman Make Inter Miami Debuts - Inter Miami CF
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Faces FC Cincinnati Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Sporting Kansas City Player Tests Positive for COVID-19 - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Sign New Contract for Rightback Romain Metanire - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Announces Additional Kit Sponsors for MLS Is Back Tournament, 2020 Season - Atlanta United FC
- Florida Is Purple: Lions Take Their First Florida Derby - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City SC Forward Tesho Akindele Agrees to Contract Extension - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Sporting KC Back in Action Sunday vs. Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- LAFC Announces Multi-Year Partnership with Truly Hard Seltzer - Los Angeles FC
- Whitecaps FC Announce Sleeve Sponsors for MLS Is Back Tournament - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: July 12, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Return to Action Tonight vs. Seattle - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Sign Forward/Midfielder Daniel Rios to Homegrown Player Contract - Houston Dynamo
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls - Atlanta United FC
- New York City FC Academy Director Liam Manning to Become Head Coach of Lommel SK - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.