MNUFC Sign New Contract for Rightback Romain Metanire
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Minnesota United announced today the club has signed a new, multi-year contract with defender Romain Metanire. The right back played a key role in one of the best defensive turnarounds in league history for Minnesota, which had 11 clean sheets and only 43 goals conceded, third-lowest in the Western Conference in 2019.
"He's fully deserved his contract extension because what you see is what you get," said MNUFC head coach Adrian Heath. "He's incredibly popular, not only with the group but with supporters and very popular within the league, trust me. A lot of the coaches like the way he plays. We're just glad we've got him signed for a few more years. If he can continue to play like he's done, since he's been here, he will continue to be one of the best players in the league in his position."
Metanire joined MNUFC ahead of the 2019 season, becoming the first Malagasy player to play in Major League Soccer. The lone Loon representative at the 2019 MLS All-Star game played 29 league games, across 2,430 minutes, only missing games while representing the Madagascar national team in a 2019 African Cup of Nations run. He finished 2019 with one goal and seven assists.
Prior to becoming a Loon, the defender played two seasons with France Ligue 1 side Reims, joining them in 2017, helping them win Ligue 2 in 2017-18 and earn promotion to Ligue 1 for the 2018-19 season. During his time with Reims, Metanire played 5,071 minutes across 59 league games, earning five assists, and 210 minutes in two cup games. Metanire began his professional career with his hometown team FC Metz in October of 2008 on the reserve team. He was promoted during the 2010-2011 season and spent a total of eight seasons with Metz FC, making 145 league appearances and scoring two goals. Throughout his 10-year career, Metanire has played 18,774 minutes in 218 games, including appearances in the Coupe de la Ligue, Beker van Belgie and Coupe de France.
With a strong defensive spine, Minnesota United finished a historic 2019 season fourth in the Western Conference with a club-record 53 points. The Loons made their first appearance in the Audi 2019 MLS Playoffs and reached the final of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
Transaction: Minnesota United signs new contract with defender Romain Metanire.
Date of birth: 03.28.1990 (30 years old)
Weight: 159 lbs
Birthplace: Metz, France
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 10, 2020
- Ambrose, Argudo, Carranza and Chapman Make Inter Miami Debuts - Inter Miami CF
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Faces FC Cincinnati Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Sporting Kansas City Player Tests Positive for COVID-19 - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Sign New Contract for Rightback Romain Metanire - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Announces Additional Kit Sponsors for MLS Is Back Tournament, 2020 Season - Atlanta United FC
- Florida Is Purple: Lions Take Their First Florida Derby - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City SC Forward Tesho Akindele Agrees to Contract Extension - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Sporting KC Back in Action Sunday vs. Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- LAFC Announces Multi-Year Partnership with Truly Hard Seltzer - Los Angeles FC
- Whitecaps FC Announce Sleeve Sponsors for MLS Is Back Tournament - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: July 12, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Return to Action Tonight vs. Seattle - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Sign Forward/Midfielder Daniel Rios to Homegrown Player Contract - Houston Dynamo
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls - Atlanta United FC
- New York City FC Academy Director Liam Manning to Become Head Coach of Lommel SK - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota United FC Stories
- MNUFC Clinches 2020 MLS Playoff Berth with New Playoff Qualification
- MNUFC Win Second Straight with 2-1 over Rapids at Home
- MNUFC Confirms COVID-19 Case
- Minnesota United FC vs. Colorado Rapids Preview
- Stoppage Time Schoenfeld Goal Gives MNUFC Three Points in Cincinnati