Houston Dynamo Sign Forward/Midfielder Daniel Rios to Homegrown Player Contract
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo signed Academy product Daniel Rios to a Homegrown Player contract that is effective January 1, 2021, the club announced today.
The 17-year-old is the 14th Dynamo Academy Alumnus to sign a Homegrown Player contract, and the second-youngest to sign after his younger teammate Juan Castilla signed on June 15. Rios joined the Academy in 2013 as a 10-year-old and recently captained the U-17 squad at the Generation adidas Cup final qualification tournament in February. It marked the first time in Club history that the U-17 team qualified for the final round of the prestigious youth tournament.
"We are very proud to see Danny Rios take this important next step in his career. Danny has earned this opportunity through his dedication, commitment and play on the field," said Dynamo Senior Vice President and General Manager Matt Jordan. "Our Academy and First Team staffs have done a great job helping these young men develop both on and off the field and Danny's development is a testament to this work and direction we are moving in as a club."
The Houston native was one of four Academy players selected by head coach Tab Ramos to join the Dynamo for the 2020 preseason earlier this year. The forward was also one of several Academy players invited to participate in First Team training sessions at the end of the 2019 MLS season.
"Danny is a Houstonian who has been in the Academy since he was very young, which makes this extra special. Many wonderful coaches, family members and mentors have helped him along the way," Dynamo Academy Director Paul Holocher said. "On the field, Danny has been very deliberate in his own development, focusing on his strengths and identifying areas to improve. His goal is to become an even more complete player."
Last season with the Academy, the forward/midfielder spent most of his time with the U-19 team and scored four goals in 11 appearances during the abbreviated campaign, adding another goal for the U-17s in the Generation adidas Cup. He has found the net nearly 40 times for the Dynamo during his four years in the Academy.
Rios has also competed at the youth international level, most recently in 2019 when he joined the U.S. U-16 Boys' National Team talent identification training camp in California.
Rios will be eligible to play for the Dynamo in January 2021, but will train with the First Team for the remainder of the year while competing with the Dynamo Academy.
TRANSACTION: The Houston Dynamo sign Daniel Rios to Homegrown Player pre-contract on Friday, July 10, 2020, which will take effect on Jan. 1, 2021.
DANIEL RIOS PROFILE
Full Name: Daniel Esteban Rios
Weight: 145 lbs
Date of Birth: March 29, 2003
Birthplace: Houston, Texas
Hometown: Houston, Texas
FIFA Nationality: United States
Last Club: Dynamo Academy U-17
How Acquired: Signed to a Homegrown Player pre-contract on Friday, July 10, 2020, which will take effect on Jan. 1, 2021.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 10, 2020
- Ambrose, Argudo, Carranza and Chapman Make Inter Miami Debuts - Inter Miami CF
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Faces FC Cincinnati Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Sporting Kansas City Player Tests Positive for COVID-19 - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Sign New Contract for Rightback Romain Metanire - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Announces Additional Kit Sponsors for MLS Is Back Tournament, 2020 Season - Atlanta United FC
- Florida Is Purple: Lions Take Their First Florida Derby - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City SC Forward Tesho Akindele Agrees to Contract Extension - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Sporting KC Back in Action Sunday vs. Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- LAFC Announces Multi-Year Partnership with Truly Hard Seltzer - Los Angeles FC
- Whitecaps FC Announce Sleeve Sponsors for MLS Is Back Tournament - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: July 12, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Return to Action Tonight vs. Seattle - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Sign Forward/Midfielder Daniel Rios to Homegrown Player Contract - Houston Dynamo
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls - Atlanta United FC
- New York City FC Academy Director Liam Manning to Become Head Coach of Lommel SK - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- 10-Man Dynamo Fall 2-1 at Los Angeles FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Face Carlos Vela and LAFC to Open Road Trip
- Dynamo Draw 1-1 with Columbus Crew SC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Return to Bbva Stadium to Host Columbus Crew SC
- Dynamo & 76 to Host Drive-In Watch Party for FC Dallas Match at Space City Shows