Marlies Face Phantoms in Sunday Matinee
The Toronto Marlies (9-7-2-2) and Lehigh Valley Phantoms (12-6-1-1) will face off Sunday for the first time since last year's Eastern Conference Finals, a series the Marlies swept on their way to the first Calder Cup in franchise history.
It's the second straight game against an Atlantic Division opponent for the Marlies who lit up the scoreboard in a 7-4 victory over Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on Saturday, and enter today's contest with points in their last five games, four of which were wins.
Over the past ten games, each side has lost just three of those in regulation as they start to find their strides and gel with the season entering the third month.
There are a number of familiar faces and names from May's series on both sides, including Marlies leading point-getters Chris Mueller (10G, 11A), Calle Rosen (2G, 16A), Trevor Moore (11G, 5A) and Carl Grundstrom (7G, 9A).
At the other end, Phil Varone is off to a blistering start with 26 points (9G, 17A) in just 20 games and blueliner T.J. Brennan is helping from the back end with 21 points (6G, 15A).
The Phantoms come into the game on the tail-end of a 3-in-3 across the Canadian teams in the North division, beating Laval 3-2 on Friday and Belleville 4-2 yesterday.
Puck drop is scheduled for 4:00 and fans can catch all the action on Leafs Nation Network, TSN 2, NHL Network and AHLTV.
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates and behind-the-scenes access from Coca-Cola Coliseum.
Head to Head (2018-19 Regular Season)
9-7-2-2 Overall Record 12-6-1-1
0-0-0-0 Head To Head 0-0-0-0
Win 2 Streak Win 2
84 Goals For 81
82 Goals Against 70
20.8% Power Play Percentage 23.1%
78.0% Penalty Kill Percentage 86.7%
T. Moore (11) Leading Goal Scorer G. Carey (12)
C. Mueller (21) Leading Points Scorer P. Varone (26)
E. McAdam (4) Wins Leader C. Hart (6)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 2, 2018
- Lankinen, Sikura Propel Rockford Past Ramage - Rockford IceHogs
- Reign Win in OT - Ontario Reign
- Tucson's Resolve Topped Late in 5-4 Overtime Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bears Win Big on Record Setting Teddy Bear Toss Night - Hershey Bears
- Sikura, IceHogs Top Rampage in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Devils Halted in Hershey, 6-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Stars Outshine Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Koivula scores twice and Ho-Sang nets the overtime-winner in Bridgeport's victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Hershey Bears Break Teddy Bear Toss World Record - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Stun P-Bruins in OT 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Poturalski OT Winner Caps Comeback Win over Bruins - Charlotte Checkers
- Second Period Comeback Secures Point for T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Marlies Face Phantoms in Sunday Matinee - Toronto Marlies
- Rangers Recall Matt Beleskey from Hartford, Assign Tim Gettinger - Hartford Wolf Pack
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Eddie Pasquale, Reassign Connor Ingram to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game #19 Preview: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Preview: Devils at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Starrett Stonewalls Moose in 4-0 Shutout - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Quiet in 4-0 Loss at Bakersfield - Manitoba Moose
- Barracuda Use Big First to Top Heat, 6-4 - San Jose Barracuda
- Rockford Offense Sputters as Ads Blank Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Toronto Marlies Stories
- Toronto Marlies Re-Sign Hudson Elynuik
- Toronto Marlies Statement on Cancellation of 2019-20 AHL Season
- MLSE Community Food Donation Program Expands to Include BMO Field and BMO as Partners Team up to Help 'Bring Toronto Back to Its Feet'
- MLSE Teams up with Partners to Announce Bringing Toronto Back to Its Feet
- Toronto Marlies Re-Sign Scott Pooley