Checkers Stun P-Bruins in OT 3-2
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins fell to the Charlotte Checkers in overtime Sunday afternoon 3-2, but extended their point streak to seven games. The P-Bruins got goals from Jordan Szwarz and Trent Frederic while Zane McIntyre made his 13th start of the season in net.
A Charlotte turnover led to an early strike for Providence, as the P-Bruins needed just 66 seconds to crack the scoreboard. Anders Bjork put his stick on the puck near the left circle and Ryan Fitzgerald came in from the center point to retrieve it. He waited, dangled and fired a shot falling down on Scott Darling from between the hashes, and the rebound went to Szwarz in the right slot. He quickly fired into the open net for his fifth goal of the season and Providence brought a 1-0 lead into the locker room. The Checkers offense had some looks in the second period, but McIntyre stayed sharp to keep the score 1-0 Bruins into the second intermission.
Providence finally got some breathing room 6:07 into the third period thanks to Karson Kuhlman and Frederic. In transition, Kuhlman rush up the left side and fired a shot that Darling could not control. The rebound went right back to Kuhlman, who delayed before feeding Frederic back door. In his first game in nearly a month, Frederic hit the back of the net for his sixth goal of the season and Providence went up 2-0.
Charlotte took over from there, scoring three unanswered goals to stun the P-Bruins. The first came via the power play at 9:33, as Janne Kuokkanen sniped in a shot from the right dot to make it 2-1. At 9:33 Martin Necas tied the score on a goal the Bruins argued should be disallowed. After catching the puck behind the goal and quickly dropping it, a Providence player kicked the puck and it found its way by McIntyre. After a lengthy discussion, the goal was counted and the game headed to overtime knotted 2-2. Things looked to be headed for a shootout, but with 16 seconds left to play Julien Gauthier ended it for Charlotte. From between the hashes, he sniped home a shot top corner for his eighth goal of the season and the Checkers came away with a 3-2 win.
McIntyre stopped 44 of 47 shots while Darling stopped 26 of 28 shots. Providence was 0-3 on the power play and 5-6 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins are back in action Wednesday when they travel to Toronto for a 7:05 face-off with the Marlies.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 2, 2018
- Lankinen, Sikura Propel Rockford Past Ramage - Rockford IceHogs
- Reign Win in OT - Ontario Reign
- Tucson's Resolve Topped Late in 5-4 Overtime Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bears Win Big on Record Setting Teddy Bear Toss Night - Hershey Bears
- Sikura, IceHogs Top Rampage in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Devils Halted in Hershey, 6-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Stars Outshine Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Koivula scores twice and Ho-Sang nets the overtime-winner in Bridgeport's victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Hershey Bears Break Teddy Bear Toss World Record - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Stun P-Bruins in OT 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Poturalski OT Winner Caps Comeback Win over Bruins - Charlotte Checkers
- Second Period Comeback Secures Point for T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Marlies Face Phantoms in Sunday Matinee - Toronto Marlies
- Rangers Recall Matt Beleskey from Hartford, Assign Tim Gettinger - Hartford Wolf Pack
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Eddie Pasquale, Reassign Connor Ingram to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game #19 Preview: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Preview: Devils at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Starrett Stonewalls Moose in 4-0 Shutout - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Quiet in 4-0 Loss at Bakersfield - Manitoba Moose
- Barracuda Use Big First to Top Heat, 6-4 - San Jose Barracuda
- Rockford Offense Sputters as Ads Blank Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Recall Kyle Keyser from ECHL's Atlanta Gladiators
- P-Bruins Comeback Falls Just Short as Laval Rocket Wins in Shootout, 5-4
- P-Bruins Fall to Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2
- P-Bruins Defeat Rochester Americans, 3-2, in Home Opener
- Bruins Assign Axel Andersson to QMJHL's Moncton Wildcats